Business vs Personal Account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business vs Personal Account

After living in my current home for the past 3/4 years I have decided to rent it out for holiday lets over the summer.

My mortgage for the property is currently taken out of my personal account (which has the benefit of a large overdraft) and I have just opened a business account (with no overdraft facility) to begin the lets.

Once I start accepting payments, could I keep the mortgage being taken from my personal account (to take advantage of the overdraft facility if necessary) and still deduct the mortgage payments (interest only mortgage) from my annual tax bill and show a mortgage statement at the end of the year as proof or would I have to switch it to the business account to show all income and expenditure for the property from one account?

Also, if I am paying for cleaning services etc before I have received any holiday payments, would I have to pay cash into the business account and then use the card to pay for the expense or could I just pay cash and keep the receipt to show at the end of the year?

Thankyou

dont think your mortgage company will be very happy with your idea!
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

My mortgage company has been told and I have paid a fee to them and taken out appropriate insurance to allow me to do it.

Do you have any thoughts about the questions above?

Comment

Don't worry it's just islandgirl being as helpful as usual...

1. Yes

2. Just pay cash and keep the receipt.

Comment

as opposed to Telometer being rude as usual (and highly skilled at wrongly accusing people of all sorts of strange things )
          I know which I prefer....!!!
          still his little digs make him happy and amuse me (and no doubt other who have been around a while) no end, so enjoy, Mr T!

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
            Don't worry it's just islandgirl being as helpful as usual...

1. Yes

2. Just pay cash and keep the receipt.
            Thanks Telometer, really appreciate your help.

Comment

genuine question - maybe Mr T can help - can it be a holiday let if it is not available for a minimum number of weeks per year? Does the issue of whether or not it is a holiday let matter for the issues the OP has?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Do I have to pay capitol gains tax?
                globularity
                I am currently living with my parents and have rented my flat out, this is the only property I own, and I lived there 12 years renting and 1 year as an owner. I am happy to move back in if this helps me to not have to pay capitol gains. Just read somewhere if its your principle home theres no capitol...
                17-08-2017, 22:13 PM
              • Reply to Do I have to pay capitol gains tax?
                Gordon999
                1. The calculation of capital gain starts from the date of purchase of your property up to date of your sale date. If you paid 100K and sold for 160K , then your capital gain is 60K. The capital gain during period of living at the property + 18 months after moving away is exempt from capital gains...
                18-08-2017, 15:04 PM
              • Reply to Do I have to pay capitol gains tax?
                jpkeates
                When did you buy it, between what dates did you live in it, rent it out and when do you plan to sell it?
                17-08-2017, 23:10 PM
              • Buying BTL and declaration of trust?
                bhodgkiss
                Hi there

I'm buying a btl with my partner (not married)

i believe we can do the mortgage under tenants in common (as opposed to joint tenants), then sign a declaration of trust to adjust the income split 99:1 (instead of 50:50). She's doesn't work.

Is it that simple...
                17-08-2017, 06:22 AM
              • Reply to Buying BTL and declaration of trust?
                bhodgkiss
                Many thanks, yes I had read the bit about if one of us dies etc.

Ok we'll go for the standard joint tenancy, as I believe we can simply draw up a document for her to get 100% income anyway from what's been said here (and other threads)
                17-08-2017, 15:45 PM
                jpkeates
                There are other differences between married couples and non-married couples that kick in.
                You need to look at the totality of the situation, not focus on one part of it.

If you are married and one of you dies, the surviving spouse inherits the deceased's property automatically....
                17-08-2017, 10:55 AM
                bhodgkiss
                Many thanks

So aside from ownership implications if we ever split up, surely HMRC will be happiest in assessing rental income if we have a tenants in common ownership 99:1?

Then rental split follows ownership split?

Also if we get married it'll need to swap to...
                17-08-2017, 09:04 AM
                jpkeates
                Which is why joint tenants is the better route.
                There's no defined split in ownership.

How the business then arranges its affairs is then, more or less, up to the business.
                17-08-2017, 08:49 AM
                Raju Gajurel
                As you are not married, HMRC will look for the real beneficial ownership of the property. The factors such as who put down the deposit, who receives and spends rent, etc will become important. So, if your partner owns 99% of the house, then there would not be any issue from HMRC. But, this means she...
                17-08-2017, 08:18 AM
                jpkeates
                That's necessary for married couples.

As unmarried partners you can purchase as joint tenants (which is probably better for you in some other ways) and decide how you split the income.
                You should probably document the income split and both sign it.
                17-08-2017, 08:14 AM
              Working...
              X