X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offsetting early repayment charges against tax

Hi,
    I'm new to the site so go easy on me !
    I am locked in to a high interest rate mortgage and want to pay back a chunk of it but will incur early repayment charges from the bank. Can I offset this charge against rental income in the same way as I could for the mortgage interest?
    Thanks
    Mark

Yes yes yes yes

Comment

For your reference.
      http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim45820.htm
      Regards Peter

Comment

Perfect
        Thanks Pete

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Second Home SDLT
          xavaar
          I just want some clarification on a scenario.

Say I lived abroad and had a buy to let property in England.

I want to move back to England and so buy a second property for £500,000 which will become my main residence.

Do you think it would be cheaper to:
          19-07-2017, 16:01 PM
        • Reply to Second Home SDLT
          tatemono
          and that "own" is anywhere in the world, just in case you have property overseas also.

I think you may be confusing SDLT on purchase with the CGT that would be due if you sold a house that wasn't classed as your main residence. As jpkeates pointed out, SDLT is calculated diff...
          20-07-2017, 09:15 AM
        • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
          lampshade
          Hi All.
          Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
          We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
          The question I...
          20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
        • Reply to Second Home SDLT
          jpkeates
          It doesn't work like that - you pay the additional 3% on any property above the first that you own.
          There's a transitional allowance, to help people who sold their home and haven't bought a new one who might otherwise have been caught out., but it wouldn't apply in your scenario.
          19-07-2017, 18:42 PM
        • Paying myself a salary
          Laurasplog
          I have a young child and - were I in paid employment, instead of managing the properties, would be eligible for the new 30 hours of childcare funding. I have spoken to HMRC (numerous times), and after speaking to three people who didn't know their arse from their elbow, I finally got through to someone...
          17-07-2017, 13:31 PM
        • Reply to Paying myself a salary
          jpkeates
          There's an anomaly in how renting property is treated which leads to all kinds of unfairness (but hey we're landlord and, therefore, who cares?)

Rent is seen as investment income, which is passive - and why it doesn't count for income and you don't need to be self employed to do it. But...
          19-07-2017, 18:39 PM
          Laurasplog
          Thank you all, this is really helpful, and pretty much what I thought. I have previously investigated setting up a limited company, but as this would require transferring the assets (the properties) into the limited company, and because they were bought in London pre-2012, there would be a vast amount...
          19-07-2017, 15:32 PM
          Gordon999
          It may be simpler to get a half day job doing book keeping for an estate agent ?
          19-07-2017, 15:25 PM
          MrShed
          I have to say that I think thats grossly unfair and probably borders on breaching the rules of posting on this forum.

If someone is self employed, and chooses therefore to take the risk of being solely responsible for their own employment (in this case via property management), and can...
          19-07-2017, 15:18 PM
          AndrewDod
          Why not pay yourself to do childcare so as to be eligible for the childcare funding. It is nonsense. And it is an attempt to steal the tax I pay.
          19-07-2017, 14:40 PM
        Working...
        X