House maintenance/repair Tax rebate?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • House maintenance/repair Tax rebate?

    Q1. Is their any Tax rebate for house maintainence/repair through out a Tax year?

    If yes, what can be claimed?

    Q2. Can maintainance man's cost and wages be considered for a tax rebate,through out a Tax year, if applicable?

  • #2
    Are you talking about your own home or a rental business?

    If the former = No, if the latter = Yes. Those items can be tax deductible.


    • #3
      It is a rented accomodation.


      • #4
        Originally posted by teachmore View Post
        It is a rented accomodation.
        For whom? You or a tenant?


        Latest Activity


        • Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
          Instead of hiring an accountant and services company, I have been doing the account and maintenance works myself on my buy-to-let property. While declaring tax return, can I include the hourly rate (as tax deduction) for the works I had done (the account and maintenance services works) ? If I can, is...
          21-08-2017, 23:59 PM
        • Capital Gains Tax Query

          I am looking for help with regards to a query about CGT.

          First off, the situation. I own a flat in Dundee. It's been my main and only residence since September 2013 (nearly 4 years). I am planning to move to Edinburgh to be closer to my girlfriend. She owns a flat 50-50...
          21-08-2017, 10:28 AM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax Query
          If you buy a cheap flat and re-sell after 6 months , the tax Office may decide the "profit is trading income" and subject to 20% or 40% income tax. You would have to live in the flat for atleast one year or longer to claim main residence and exemption for cgt..

          If you have a...
          21-08-2017, 17:31 PM
        • Clarification on ATED
          Hi guys,

          Just needing some clarification regarding the ‘annual tax on enveloped dwellings’ (ATED). From what I understand, there is a charge of £3500/ year for limited companies owning properties worth >£500,000.

          For arguements sake, if I bought a property for £499,000,...
          21-08-2017, 11:38 AM
        • Reply to Clarification on ATED
          If you’re not sure which value band your property falls into, you may be able to ask HMRC for a Pre-Return Banding Check (PRBC) if:
          • you’re not due a relief that will reduce your ATED charge to nil
          • your property valuation falls within 10% of a banding threshold

          The 10% banding thresholds...
          21-08-2017, 17:03 PM
        • Will it trigger SDLT charges?
          I was thinking through the process of informing HMRC about unequal shares of benefitors(in this case me and my spouse). As I understand, a form 17 along with evidence of unequal shares must be submitted. Evidence being declaration/deed of trust.

          Providing below details, will my spouse...
          02-08-2017, 13:02 PM
        • Reply to Will it trigger SDLT charges?
          If there is a mortgage on the property care must be taken only to transfer the net equity between the couple. Not only is a transfer of the mortgage interests likely to breach the terms of the mortgage with the lender, but being a transfer of an interest in land it could also trigger a stamp duty land...
          21-08-2017, 15:57 PM
        • Stamp duty rates for Limited Company
          A bit of background: I am interested in getting on to the buy-to-let property ladder, to give myself passive income on top of my daytime job. I intend to start a limited company so that I can save on some tax. As such, I will be buying any rental properties via the limited company.

          21-08-2017, 11:08 AM
        • Reply to Stamp duty rates for Limited Company
          Yes, they're the same rates.
          The way they're accounted for can be different, though as a company doesn't have capital gains tax to account for.
          21-08-2017, 12:29 PM
        • Reply to Clarification on ATED
 seems fairly clear already, but the way I read it (as someone without a personal interest):

          1) Open market value. If you paid for it at full market value, from an independent...
          21-08-2017, 11:56 AM