Condensation treatment: Allowable expense or Capital cost???

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Condensation treatment: Allowable expense or Capital cost???


    I am filling out a tax return for a rental property for the first time and would like to claim an expense for what I feel is maintance (therefore can be deducted from rental income) but it may be a capital expense........I hope someone can help me?

    I used to live in the house but had to move so rented it out. The house has solid walls. When I lived there, there was a slight problem with condensation but we kept the place ventillated and heated and cleaned any slight mould on the walls.

    Since tennants moved in, they do not ventillate or heat the house adequately and the condesation on the walls got so bad that the mould grew quickly and the paint peeled off and was causing damage to the plasterwork.

    To rectify this I got a condensation man to have a look and he suggested some vents and to get internal wall insulation on one of the walls to improve the condensation problem. This has been done for a total cost of £2820.

    Can this £2820 be expense be set against the rental income?? Or is it a capital expense? I feel the work was required to prevent ongoing deterioration of the property due to condensation/damp therefore feel its a maintance issue.

    I dont feel that having the work done has improved the value of the property, just brought it to an acceptable standard.

    Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.


  • #2
    I think I read somewhere that insulation is an allowable income deduction. Maybe wait for someone else to confirm.

    edit. I just found this:


    • #3
      Thanks for your post. The LESA only allows £1500 for the wall insulation. Unfortunately I dont have a breakdown of what was the cost for the actual insulation and for the vents/extractor fans. The total was £2820.

      The thing about this expense, I didnt do it to improve the energy efficiency as such but it was to treat a bad condensation problem which I couldnt leave as the tennants wanted to leave and it was affecting their health........thats why I was hoping to claim the whole amout against the income rather than capital gain.

      Having not done a property tax form before is it possible to phone HMRC and ask for their verdict on it directly??? (does anyone have a number?)



      • #4
        See Notes on SA105 which is the tax form for declaring annual property income and look at notes for box 23 and box 33 .


        Latest Activity


        • tax rate question
          Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
          is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

          Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
          Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
          £40000-11,500 =...
          20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
        • Reply to tax rate question
          jpkeates not according to my accountancy textbook! (And I got 86% in the Personal Tax module so I'm pretty confident). I can dig it back out of the box tomorrow to double check though...

          [The reason I didn't take off the £11.1k capital allowance was pure laziness - although I did say...
          22-07-2017, 19:45 PM
        • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
          Hi All.
          Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
          We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
          The question I...
          20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
        • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
          One of my sources for the uncertainty as to whether money should be accounted as going through the agent's books is sections 1.2.2 and 1.2.4 of ICAEW TECH/03/11
          22-07-2017, 13:41 PM
        • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
          Whilst this is considered current best practice, and is in the RICS guidelines, the legislation that would have put it into effect was never "commenced", so it isn't a legal requirement. It is still true that it isn't the managing agent's money; it belongs to the service charge trust fund,...
          22-07-2017, 13:08 PM
        • Reply to tax rate question
 seems to confirm jpkeates worst fears.

          I would add that there are number of things, e.g. pension contributions not paid by the employer, and gift aid, that you can offset against the work salary. Additional income must be added, although, if that...
          22-07-2017, 12:42 PM
        • Reply to tax rate question
          Are you sure that's right?

          My understanding was that you add the capital gain (in full) to your taxable income and that sets the tax rate for the CGT.

          So you add £89k (total £100k less the £11k annual capital allowance) to the income that's taxable - (in this case, £28.5k)...
          22-07-2017, 12:09 PM
        • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
          The service charge funds belong to the leaseholders.

          The managing agents, on behalf of the leaseholders ask for work to be done.
          The bill arrives and they pay it on behalf of the leaseholders.( They pay the bottom line figure which includes vat if chargeable by the contractor )
          22-07-2017, 11:58 AM
        • Renting below market rate

          I having been renting out a property i have, to a mate, for below market rate. Last year for a couple of months, i received less rent than agreed due to unforeseen circumstances.

          So I should have received £17400, but only received £15,400, so I am in deficit of £2k....
          21-07-2017, 23:28 PM
        • Reply to Renting below market rate
          It depends if you forgave the rent or are still owed it.

          You are meant to complete a tax return on an accountancy (rather than a cash) basis, so you pay tax on the rent you are due, not the rent you receive and use a bad debt provision for any rent owed but not received.

          22-07-2017, 09:24 AM