what employment status am I

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • what employment status am I

    Hi guys - first post!
    I have rented out 5 properties while being employed but have been on incapacity benefit now for two years and my employment status has ended this year. I have always self-assesed as 'property income' 'employed' and 'incapacitiy income'... now im no longer emloyed but received incapacity, what status should I be classified- thanks

  • #2
    Call hmrc hotline for advice .


    Latest Activity


    • Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
      Instead of hiring an accountant and services company, I have been doing the account and maintenance works myself on my buy-to-let property. While declaring tax return, can I include the hourly rate (as tax deduction) for the works I had done (the account and maintenance services works) ? If I can, is...
      21-08-2017, 23:59 PM
    • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
      It's nothing to do with the income being taxable - that's just a red herring.
      It's not allowed because HMRC has decided it's not - it's part of the job of being a landlord.

      If it were to do with the income being taxable, someone who earned less than the tax free allowance could happily...
      22-08-2017, 10:26 AM
    • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
      Put another way, are you planning to declare the income you earn from doing this work (and pay tax on it)?
      22-08-2017, 10:09 AM
    • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
      You cannot charge for your own time against the rental income because its still part of your annual income for income tax calculation.
      22-08-2017, 06:03 AM
    • Capital Gains Tax Query

      I am looking for help with regards to a query about CGT.

      First off, the situation. I own a flat in Dundee. It's been my main and only residence since September 2013 (nearly 4 years). I am planning to move to Edinburgh to be closer to my girlfriend. She owns a flat 50-50...
      21-08-2017, 10:28 AM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax Query
      If you buy a cheap flat and re-sell after 6 months , the tax Office may decide the "profit is trading income" and subject to 20% or 40% income tax. You would have to live in the flat for atleast one year or longer to claim main residence and exemption for cgt..

      If you have a...
      21-08-2017, 17:31 PM
    • Clarification on ATED
      Hi guys,

      Just needing some clarification regarding the ‘annual tax on enveloped dwellings’ (ATED). From what I understand, there is a charge of £3500/ year for limited companies owning properties worth >£500,000.

      For arguements sake, if I bought a property for £499,000,...
      21-08-2017, 11:38 AM
    • Reply to Clarification on ATED
      If you’re not sure which value band your property falls into, you may be able to ask HMRC for a Pre-Return Banding Check (PRBC) if:
      • you’re not due a relief that will reduce your ATED charge to nil
      • your property valuation falls within 10% of a banding threshold

      The 10% banding thresholds...
      21-08-2017, 17:03 PM
    • Will it trigger SDLT charges?
      I was thinking through the process of informing HMRC about unequal shares of benefitors(in this case me and my spouse). As I understand, a form 17 along with evidence of unequal shares must be submitted. Evidence being declaration/deed of trust.

      Providing below details, will my spouse...
      02-08-2017, 13:02 PM
    • Reply to Will it trigger SDLT charges?
      If there is a mortgage on the property care must be taken only to transfer the net equity between the couple. Not only is a transfer of the mortgage interests likely to breach the terms of the mortgage with the lender, but being a transfer of an interest in land it could also trigger a stamp duty land...
      21-08-2017, 15:57 PM