tax implications or efficiencies from transferring to joint title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax implications or efficiencies from transferring to joint title?

My girlfriend solely owns the house we have both lived in for 6 years, and she currently has a £115k mortgage on.

We are buying a new house in joint names and my girlfriend wants to keep her current house as a long term investment and rent it out (ideally for 10 years or more if the renting works out). We plan to raise an additional £60k capital as deposit for the new house, from getting a buy to let mortgage of £175k on the property valued at £320k.

Since we are both higher rate tax payers, the question is whether, from an personal tax allowance and capital gains tax perspective, it makes sense that we change the title of her current place to joint names and we raise a joint buy to let mortgage or just keep it in her own name and she has a buy to let mortgage in her name only.

thanks

You should not transfer (a share of) this property between you until you have got married (lol) AND are still living there. Otherwise she will lose CGT relief.

The more mortgage you can raise on that property, the more the interest is tax deductible.

There may be other issues such as the amount the bank will let you borrow.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Accounts
      by Another Fine Mess
      I do all my rental accounts on a spreadsheet and at the end of the year I just hand them to my accountant who does my Self-Assessment form and I get charged £200 plus....
      09-08-2022, 12:03 PM
    • Accounts
      by jase222
      Hi
      i recently changed accountant and the previous accountant I put all my expenses down on a spreadsheet which worked well for years, but now my new accountant want me to use cloud software which is going to be a struggle.
      Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic easy to use software!...
      30-07-2022, 15:32 PM
    • Inheritance tax Open Market Vakue
      by Bengt Lagander
      Is a red book valuation an "open market value"?

the Red Book, the RICS manual for valuers, the open market value ("OMV") is the best price obtainable in a transaction completed on the date of death.

Is this the correct definition please?
      07-08-2022, 11:33 AM
    • Reply to Inheritance tax Open Market Vakue
      by flyingfreehold
      even with an RICS' firm's valuation, if the valuers at HMRC think it low they will still challenge it. Ive just dealt with an estate the valuation date for which was during lockdown, and with extensive tenanted interests. The RICS firm arrived at their figure by a completely different methodology...
      07-08-2022, 18:40 PM
      by Neelix
      A written valuation for probate from an estate agent or 2

then after it’s sold you need to declare the actual value it sold for
      07-08-2022, 12:54 PM
      by Gordon999
      For assessing property value for estate tax, you would approach 2 or more surveyor firms for their valuation and choose the one who gives the lowest valuation.
      07-08-2022, 12:45 PM
    • Reply to Stamp duty question
      by Kekdal
      Thanks everyone I took professional advise from a qualified lawyer who confirmed that in my case I can't enjoy a lower rate. I kind of knew the answer but was clutching on straws . My oversimplified interpretation based on his advise is: HMRCs logic is if you have more than one property you pay higher...
      04-08-2022, 09:18 AM
    • Stamp duty question
      by Kekdal
      Hi Gurus,
      I am trying to figure out if I need to pay the 2nd stamp duty.
      I am buying a property which would be my main residence.
      I currently live in a property that I pay rent for as a tenant.
      However I own another property which I had bought to live in and had paid the lower...
      03-08-2022, 09:53 AM
      by DoricPixie
      The manual is clear, Kekdal will not be able to claim a refund if the BTL is disposed of after purchasing the new home. I don't know the circumstances the other posters to which you refer but they cannot be the same as Kekdal's as they would not be due a refund.

I don't think it would be...
      04-08-2022, 05:44 AM
      by jpkeates
      I used to believe that as well - the HMRC manuals are pretty clear about the situation in my view.

Which made the surcharge rules a real trap for anyone who owned a let property (maybe for some years) and, who then wanted to buy a home of their own).
      But some people claim to have...
      03-08-2022, 13:42 PM
    Working...
    X