Split a property, how much tax do I pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split a property, how much tax do I pay?

Hello,

I'm a budding property developer and have a question I hope you guys can help with.

I've bought a bungalow with a 90% mortgage. It's detatched and has lots of space. I want to add a second storey on top and thus make it into two separate flats, separate entrances, utilities, addresses etc etc.

If I get planning permission and do this and rent them both out, I've got two questions:

1. The rental income from both flats would cover my repayment mortgage and there will be a small profit - would I need to pay tax on this?

2. Will I be able to transfer the mortgage onto one of the flats?

Thanks!

1. Yes, obviously!

2. Talk to your bank. You may find it difficult as the two properties will be held together and you cannot grant a lease to yourself.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

On point 2 below, given that the two flats will have separate boundaries (as in the property grounds will be be split so each has it's own garden and drive way, fenced off and all), separate external entrances, separate utility supplies and driveways, would I be able to have them registered as freehold?
      Last edited by BuildersMate; 17-12-2011, 18:23 PM. Reason: Needed to add more info/clarify what I wrote

Comment

Not if they're flats, if I have understood you properly. If you make them into semi-detached houses, then yes you can.

Comment

Due to Council of Mortgage Lenders' policy, you should be aware mortgage loans are not usually offered on "freehold flats" or "leasehold flats" falling below 70 years. So almost all flats in E&W are registered under leasehold title .
          As well as getting planning consent from Local Council, you need to check with your mortgage lender on getting consent to split the property and the max loans available on BTL mortgages. This may only be up to 70% for BTL mortgages. You are lucky to get a 90% mortgage.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• SDLT and first time buyers
            by mpppen
            Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
            03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
          • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
            by DoricPixie
            How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
            04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
            by jpkeates
            If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
            It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
            04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
            by AndrewDod
            Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
            04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
            by mpppen
            Thanks.

Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
            04-07-2022, 13:55 PM
            by AndrewDod
            A few other comments:

Depending where you are HMRC is not going to believe "no increase in value over past two years". An estate agent assessment may not be worth much at all. If challenged and HMRC do their own assessment you may be paying tax on a 20% uplift of 350K = quite...
            04-07-2022, 13:45 PM
            by mpppen
            Thanks both.

The intent is for them to live there but they may want to rent it out while they go off to university. That's where I'm struggling as to whether the Stamp Duty relief applies or not.

CGT wouldn't apply as the property hasn't increased in value significantly since...
            04-07-2022, 13:11 PM
            by AndrewDod
            Capital gains tax?
            Who assessed market value?
            Are they actually paying for this?
            04-07-2022, 08:35 AM
          • Reply to Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
            by AndrewDod
            Absolutely northing at all to do with capital expenditure
            04-07-2022, 08:31 AM
          • Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
            by ss112233
            This question is about allowable expenses for tax deduction.
            Are letting agent fees for a 24 month lease(with a 16 month break clause) after a change of tenant considered as revenue or capital expenditure?
            I use a cash basis for accounting. The fees were paid in two lump sums. One at the...
            03-07-2022, 13:26 PM
          Working...
          X