Split a property, how much tax do I pay?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Split a property, how much tax do I pay?


    I'm a budding property developer and have a question I hope you guys can help with.

    I've bought a bungalow with a 90% mortgage. It's detatched and has lots of space. I want to add a second storey on top and thus make it into two separate flats, separate entrances, utilities, addresses etc etc.

    If I get planning permission and do this and rent them both out, I've got two questions:

    1. The rental income from both flats would cover my repayment mortgage and there will be a small profit - would I need to pay tax on this?

    2. Will I be able to transfer the mortgage onto one of the flats?


    1. Yes, obviously!

    2. Talk to your bank. You may find it difficult as the two properties will be held together and you cannot grant a lease to yourself.


      Thanks for the response.

      On point 2 below, given that the two flats will have separate boundaries (as in the property grounds will be be split so each has it's own garden and drive way, fenced off and all), separate external entrances, separate utility supplies and driveways, would I be able to have them registered as freehold?
      Last edited by BuildersMate; 17-12-2011, 18:23 PM. Reason: Needed to add more info/clarify what I wrote


        Not if they're flats, if I have understood you properly. If you make them into semi-detached houses, then yes you can.


          Due to Council of Mortgage Lenders' policy, you should be aware mortgage loans are not usually offered on "freehold flats" or "leasehold flats" falling below 70 years. So almost all flats in E&W are registered under leasehold title .
          As well as getting planning consent from Local Council, you need to check with your mortgage lender on getting consent to split the property and the max loans available on BTL mortgages. This may only be up to 70% for BTL mortgages. You are lucky to get a 90% mortgage.


          Latest Activity


          • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
            by mpppen
            We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

            I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
            03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
          • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
            by Trevor62
            Thank-you for the link.

            Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

            Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

            Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

            Because I am an old dad and my...
            19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
          • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by Ollyn

            I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

            I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

            From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

            18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by Gordon999
            You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

            The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
            19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by ash72
            You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
            18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by theartfullodger
            You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

            What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
            18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
          • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
            by Gordon999
            The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

            If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

            If your annual gross...
            18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
          • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
            by banner257
            Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
            18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
          • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
            by jpkeates
            It's £1,000 each.

            Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
            18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
          • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
            by VIKKI99
            Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
            The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
            Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
            18-05-2022, 01:07 AM