CGT Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT Timing

Hi how do you calculate capital gain tax when purchase and sale is not in line with the tax year??

ie, full capital gain in year of purchase regardless of date and non in sale or is the gain apportioned on the month of the year.

Thanks
    Steve P
    Many Thanks
    Steve P

Originally posted by stephenp View Post
    Hi how do you calculate capital gain tax when purchase and sale is not in line with the tax year??

ie, full capital gain in year of purchase regardless of date and non in sale or is the gain apportioned on the month of the year.

Thanks
    Steve P
    Full gain is charged in the tax year in which sale takes place.

If sale is in December 2006, the gain belongs to tax year 2006-07 which runs from 6 April 2006 to 5 April 2007.

Ramnik
    Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Thanks but how do you allocate PRR if you have owend the property for 10 years and four months and lived in it for 3 years and 3 months

6 years 3 months would be allowable out of 10yrs and 4 mths however do you round it at al????

Thanks
      Many Thanks
      Steve P

Comment

Originally posted by stephenp View Post
        Thanks but how do you allocate PRR if you have owend the property for 10 years and four months and lived in it for 3 years and 3 months

6 years 3 months = 75 months (including the final 36 months) would be allowable out of 10yrs and 4 mths = 124 months. However do you round it at all?

Thanks
        PPR relief would be 75/124 x total gain after indexation allowance.

Rest (49/124 x total gains) would be chargeable gains but reduced by lettings relief (to the extent that any of the chargeable gain is arising as a result of letting the property), taper relief and CGT annual allowance.

Ramnik
        Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Damaged artwork expense
          by jtufty
          Hi all

Silly minor question really. Last week the tenant accidentally knocked a framed picture off the wall and smashed it. It was only a cheap thing (I guess value was £10). I went out and bought a replacement picture for her. (I know I didnt have to, but shes a good tenant). I bought...
          24-09-2021, 10:35 AM
        • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
          by ram

As per above, as the place is "part-furnished", which will not incude pictures on walls.

It's a gift to a stranger. ( They are not family, not close friends - etc. ) and not a claimable expence in any way..
          25-09-2021, 16:05 PM
          by nukecad
          I'd see this as an altruistic gift to your tenant and leave it at that.

My previous LL (although he had his faults) used to buy the 3 of us in his small HMO a £20 case of beer each at Christmas, I doubt he tried to claim it off tax.
          25-09-2021, 15:46 PM
          by jtufty
          Its let "part-furnished". (she didnt have a bed, so I put a bed in there, and the white goods, and the [now-broken] picture and a few other bits n bobs)...
          25-09-2021, 15:13 PM
          by Section20z
          You don't need to write anything. Retain the receipt and just include the appropriate amount in youR expenses/capital totals...
          25-09-2021, 13:57 PM
          by ram

We assume the place is let as furnished ?

I don't think pictures are classed as furniture / but then again, a mirror screwed to the wall - if broken by the tenant, then the tenant pays.
          So pictures ? not sure.
          I would charge the tenant the cost of replacement.
          25-09-2021, 11:43 AM
          by jtufty
          Thanks guys. I dont know what came over me! A momentary wave of altruism. Most unlike me!

I have the receipt. What should I log it as? Should I literally just write "capital expense" or should I be more specific such as "replacement of broken picture"?
          25-09-2021, 06:45 AM
          by jpkeates
          It's a replacement item of furniture and its allowable as such.
          There's an inevitable element of betterment when you replace one thing with another.

And £40 is neither here nor there as a capital item.
          24-09-2021, 13:16 PM
          by Section20z
          That sounds definitely like an improvement as you didn't have to splash out £50 you crazy dude.
          £10 down to repairs and £40 capital expense I reckon.
          24-09-2021, 11:59 AM
        • Let Property Campaign.
          by armour
          Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
          13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
        Working...
        X