Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council tax and students/professionals

Good morning!

I am rather new in the 'landlord world' and just have two properties right now.

One of my properties is vacant. I have a bunch of 3 friends in their mid 20s interested in renting and sharing it.
    2 of them are professionals, the other one is student + part time worker to get herself pocket money.

What they would like to do is make the student sign the agreement so that they avoid the council tax since the council wont know there are professionals living there.

I have no idea what to do... I would be tempted to accept this as the property will therefore be let this week but I am not quite sure about the consequences for me.

Any advice on this matter would be really appreciated!
    Thanks

Originally posted by wiregig View Post
    Good morning!

I am rather new in the 'landlord world' and just have two properties right now.

One of my properties is vacant. I have a bunch of 3 friends in their mid 20s interested in renting and sharing it.
    2 of them are professionals, the other one is student + part time worker to get herself pocket money.

What they would like to do is make the student sign the agreement so that they avoid the council tax since the council wont know there are professionals living there.

I have no idea what to do... I would be tempted to accept this as the property will therefore be let this week but I am not quite sure about the consequences for me.

Any advice on this matter would be really appreciated!
    Thanks
    Not recommended.

Where will this leave you if there was a problem with rent payment, damage to property, legal proceedings etc?

Ramnik
    Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Whatever the tenants do about Council Tax once they have taken up the tenancy is up to them, but you should point out to them that as they are all going to be living there, for their own protection they should all sign the agreement.

It would also be dangerous for Student to be the only signatory, as they would be the only one you could pursue for rent arrears if they defaulted - so definitely not in Student's best interests to be the only signatory! They should just accept their responsibilities.

But I would worry about tenants who want to buck the system - if they're trying to get out of Council Tax, will they be trying to get out of paying rent as well?

Oh, and do make sure you get your inventory signed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Damaged artwork expense
        by ram

As per above, as the place is "part-furnished", which will not incude pictures on walls.

It's a gift to a stranger. ( They are not family, not close friends - etc. ) and not a claimable expence in any way..
        25-09-2021, 16:05 PM
      • Damaged artwork expense
        by jtufty
        Hi all

Silly minor question really. Last week the tenant accidentally knocked a framed picture off the wall and smashed it. It was only a cheap thing (I guess value was £10). I went out and bought a replacement picture for her. (I know I didnt have to, but shes a good tenant). I bought...
        24-09-2021, 10:35 AM
        by nukecad
        I'd see this as an altruistic gift to your tenant and leave it at that.

My previous LL (although he had his faults) used to buy the 3 of us in his small HMO a £20 case of beer each at Christmas, I doubt he tried to claim it off tax.
        25-09-2021, 15:46 PM
        by jtufty
        Its let "part-furnished". (she didnt have a bed, so I put a bed in there, and the white goods, and the [now-broken] picture and a few other bits n bobs)...
        25-09-2021, 15:13 PM
        by Section20z
        You don't need to write anything. Retain the receipt and just include the appropriate amount in youR expenses/capital totals...
        25-09-2021, 13:57 PM
        by ram

We assume the place is let as furnished ?

I don't think pictures are classed as furniture / but then again, a mirror screwed to the wall - if broken by the tenant, then the tenant pays.
        So pictures ? not sure.
        I would charge the tenant the cost of replacement.
        25-09-2021, 11:43 AM
        by jtufty
        Thanks guys. I dont know what came over me! A momentary wave of altruism. Most unlike me!

I have the receipt. What should I log it as? Should I literally just write "capital expense" or should I be more specific such as "replacement of broken picture"?
        25-09-2021, 06:45 AM
        by jpkeates
        It's a replacement item of furniture and its allowable as such.
        There's an inevitable element of betterment when you replace one thing with another.

And £40 is neither here nor there as a capital item.
        24-09-2021, 13:16 PM
        by Section20z
        That sounds definitely like an improvement as you didn't have to splash out £50 you crazy dude.
        £10 down to repairs and £40 capital expense I reckon.
        24-09-2021, 11:59 AM
      • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
        by armour
        No Neelix, I don't approve of tax evasion.

As it happens, I am the friend who has convinced the lady that it was best all round if she made a clean breast of it and fessed up as soon as possible via the Let Property Campaign and am using such talants as I posess to help her to do so....
        23-09-2021, 07:46 AM
      Working...
      X