Replacement Windows

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Replacement Windows


    I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but can I claim for replacement windows on my Tax Return? They were old original wooden frame windows that were causing damp to penetrate into my flat and the flat below so to replace them was a must. They were replaced with UPVC double glazed windows. I am on the seafront so again, the need for replacement was very necessary due to bearing the brunt of coastal weather.



    Is this flat rented out?

    How long have you had the flat?

    How long has it been rented out?


      It was rented out up until May 2011. I have now moved back in. I was renting it out temporarily because of financial difficulties. I rented it out from November 2009 to May 2011.

      I have had the flat since 2000.

      Oh and the first window was replaced in 2010 followed by a second in 2011. ie. whilst rented out.


        The replacements (as long as done whilst rented out) would come under maintenance and so are usually allowed - however, as it was only a short rental period, HMRC may smell a rat. If so, it will be dealt with through CGT.


          So how much of the cost of replacing the windows can I claim for. Is it 10%?

          As for CGT, I don't intend selling my place ever. I only rented it out because of my old place of work going on a 4 day week and I had to do something. Renting it out was never something I planned to do as it is my home.



            Please confirm dates in 2010 and 2011 when windows replaced.

            Why did you replace them?


              As explained in my original thread they were replaced because the old wooden framed windows were rotten and water was coming through, causing damage to both my walls and the ceiling of the flat below.

              The first large bay window was replaced in October 2010, the second smaller window was replaced early in March 2011.


                And were they rotten when you started renting?


                Latest Activity


                • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by AndrewDod
                  Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
                  25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
                • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by Another Fine Mess
                  If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
                  24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by shipboard
                  I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
                  24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
                • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by gnvqsos
                  I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
                  24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
                • Reply to CGT query
                  by Gordon999
                  Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
                  24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
                • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by Gordon999
                  I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
                  24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
                • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by jpkeates
                  I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
                  It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
                  24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
                • CGT query
                  by vik238754
                  Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                  23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
                • Reply to CGT query
                  by jpkeates
                  What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
                  24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
                • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                  by mpppen
                  We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

                  I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                  03-03-2022, 20:00 PM