can you help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you help

I am new to the renting out business, but it has become necessary as I have had to move back in with my mother who has vascular dementia.

I pay a mortgage on my house but have permission from the lender to rent it out for two years. The mortage is a repayment mortgage only. I have stayed in the house myself ( sole residence ) for around 6 years.

However, the fixed rate term is actually up before that date , so I would reckon at that time, I will need to switch to ' buy to let ' mortgage ?

I am getting very confused as to tax allowances.

I know that I can deduct agents fees. insurance etc off the rental income for tax purposes, but can I also deduct the mortgage I am paying on the house and basically using the rental income to pay this ?

I am also very confused as to the whole capital gains system, should I sell the house in the future. Can anyone help ?

If you are living in your mother's house and are away for less than three years there is no CGT impact provided you move back in for a respectable length of time in order to prove you are permanently back there, say a year (less if circumstances suddenly change).

For income tax you offset mortgage costs as well.

Just because the fixed rate is up does not mean you have to switch your mortgage.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting below market rate
      insightforthe
      Hi,

I having been renting out a property i have, to a mate, for below market rate. Last year for a couple of months, i received less rent than agreed due to unforeseen circumstances.

So I should have received £17400, but only received £15,400, so I am in deficit of £2k....
      21-07-2017, 23:28 PM
    • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
      lampshade
      Hi All.
      Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
      We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
      The question I...
      20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
    • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
      leaseholder64
      There is someone starting from the same misunderstandings in this thread: http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/v...es-t28896.html The thread covers both the trust and exemption aspects.

I don't think they end up convinced, but that's their problem.
      21-07-2017, 10:42 AM
      leaseholder64
      It appears to be exempt, so they can't claim back the VAT even if the money passes through their books.

Section 42 creates a statutory trust out of the service charges, although there may well have been one implied by the lease. Any service charge you pay on account (e.g. at the beginning...
      21-07-2017, 10:35 AM
      leaseholder64
      This FTT ruling gives some more information (in a case that proved an exception to the exemption rules): http://landschamber.decisions.tribun...RX-48-2015.pdf The ruling notes the law is not too clear.

One point to note is that, according to https://www.g...
      21-07-2017, 10:24 AM
      lampshade
      hi
      thanks again for the replies.
      To be clearer if I may.

As normal we all pay an annual service charge to cover things like cleaning, gardens, common electric, general maintenance. And I know that all of these services are from one man businesses that are not VAT registered....
      21-07-2017, 10:22 AM
      leaseholder64
      I would have thought that it was the section 42 trust that is being charged VAT, not the agent. Obviously the agent's fees are subject to their VAT status, and if they provide maintenance services in house, they would be subject to their status.

Although not quite the same, my bank charges...
      21-07-2017, 09:49 AM
      jpkeates
      If the service agent is VAT registered, they have to charge VAT - it's not optional.

Companies don't claim back the VAT they charge, they pay HMRC the VAT they charge less the VAT they are themselves charged (calculated once every quarter.

So, if the agent is charged £10000...
      21-07-2017, 08:28 AM
    • tax rate question
      vik2001
      Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
      is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
      Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
      £40000-11,500 =...
      20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
    • Reply to tax rate question
      emwithme
      You will pay 18% on some (the amount that takes you to the higher rate threshold, so the first £32,000 of taxed income - the amount that's taxed if it's income at 20%) and then 28% on the rest.

For example, if your total earned income is £40,000 and your capital gain (after allowances)...
      20-07-2017, 20:36 PM
    Working...
    X