Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfering a Joint Ownership Mortgage House to a Limited Company

Hello All,

This is my first post, alot of useful info which is great for a landlord thanks.
    I jointly own a buy to let property with my sister. We would like to sell the property and buy something else abroard maybe.
    We are thinking the most Tax efficient way to do this would be to transfer the deeds and mortgage to the existing property to a Limited Company, sell the property and then buy the new property through the Limited Company.

I was just woundering is this the most tax efficent way of facilitating this sort of transfer?

i.e. whats the best way of selling my current buy to let house, if the intention is to buy another mortgaged property with the proceeds?

Many Thanks

Originally posted by clindsay View Post
    We are thinking the most Tax efficient way to do this would be to transfer the deeds and mortgage to the existing property to a Limited Company, sell the property and then buy the new property through the Limited Company.
    I doubt it very much. A limited company is almost never the answer.

The most sensible thing for you from a tax perspective is to do is to stick with the property you have.

Comment

Originally posted by clindsay View Post
      Hello All,

This is my first post, alot of useful info which is great for a landlord thanks.
      I jointly own a buy to let property with my sister. We would like to sell the property and buy something else abroard maybe.

I was just woundering is this the most tax efficent way of facilitating this sort of transfer?

i.e. whats the best way of selling my current buy to let house, if the intention is to buy another mortgaged property with the proceeds?

Many Thanks
      Sorry, I don't mean to snigger, but I am!

Did someone suggest this, or is it another case of 'a limited company structure must be more tax efficient, although I have no known reason why or how'?!

PS. Welcome to the board....no harm meant, just playing on the company = better tax mythological dream!
      I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

You will become liable for capital gains tax whether you sell direct to a buyer or do a transfer to a company .

If you decide to use a company, the extra costs will include - incorporating a company, paying the mortgage application charges for a company, 2 x conveyancing costs as "buyer of property" and "seller of property".

A UK company may not be suitable for buying a foreign property. You need to get legal and tax advice when buying overseas.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inheritance tax Open Market Vakue
          by flyingfreehold
          even with an RICS' firm's valuation, if the valuers at HMRC think it low they will still challenge it. Ive just dealt with an estate the valuation date for which was during lockdown, and with extensive tenanted interests. The RICS firm arrived at their figure by a completely different methodology...
          07-08-2022, 18:40 PM
        • Inheritance tax Open Market Vakue
          by Bengt Lagander
          Is a red book valuation an "open market value"?

the Red Book, the RICS manual for valuers, the open market value ("OMV") is the best price obtainable in a transaction completed on the date of death.

Is this the correct definition please?
          07-08-2022, 11:33 AM
          by Neelix
          A written valuation for probate from an estate agent or 2

then after it’s sold you need to declare the actual value it sold for
          07-08-2022, 12:54 PM
          by Gordon999
          For assessing property value for estate tax, you would approach 2 or more surveyor firms for their valuation and choose the one who gives the lowest valuation.
          07-08-2022, 12:45 PM
        • Reply to Stamp duty question
          by Kekdal
          Thanks everyone I took professional advise from a qualified lawyer who confirmed that in my case I can't enjoy a lower rate. I kind of knew the answer but was clutching on straws . My oversimplified interpretation based on his advise is: HMRCs logic is if you have more than one property you pay higher...
          04-08-2022, 09:18 AM
        • Stamp duty question
          by Kekdal
          Hi Gurus,
          I am trying to figure out if I need to pay the 2nd stamp duty.
          I am buying a property which would be my main residence.
          I currently live in a property that I pay rent for as a tenant.
          However I own another property which I had bought to live in and had paid the lower...
          03-08-2022, 09:53 AM
          by DoricPixie
          The manual is clear, Kekdal will not be able to claim a refund if the BTL is disposed of after purchasing the new home. I don't know the circumstances the other posters to which you refer but they cannot be the same as Kekdal's as they would not be due a refund.

I don't think it would be...
          04-08-2022, 05:44 AM
          by jpkeates
          I used to believe that as well - the HMRC manuals are pretty clear about the situation in my view.

Which made the surcharge rules a real trap for anyone who owned a let property (maybe for some years) and, who then wanted to buy a home of their own).
          But some people claim to have...
          03-08-2022, 13:42 PM
          by DoricPixie
          Kekdal won’t be able to reclaim the higher rate of SDLT. That only works when someone buys a new main residence whilst keeping the old main residence, pays the higher rate of SDLT and then sells the old main residence within 3 years of completing the purchase of the new main residence. Then a claim...
          03-08-2022, 12:57 PM
          by jpkeates
          It seems to depend on the timing.

I used to think that if you owned another property which you let, you were just screwed, because of the second property thing (even if it was your residence you were buying).

I've been advised otherwise, and that you would pay and reclaim....
          03-08-2022, 12:11 PM
        Working...
        X