Avoice Cgt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoice Cgt

Hi, i was wondering how to avoid CGT on the sale of a rental property, i understand that if it is you place of residance that no CGT is payble, supposing lived in it for three years and then rented it out for 10 years, how long would you have to live in it again to avoid CGT if this method is possible. your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Steve P
    Many Thanks
    Steve P

Originally posted by stephenp View Post
    Hi, i was wondering how to avoid CGT on the sale of a rental property, i understand that if it is you place of residance that no CGT is payble, supposing lived in it for three years and then rented it out for 10 years, how long would you have to live in it again to avoid CGT if this method is possible. your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Steve P
    The simple answer is that your belief is a myth. You cannot ever undo all the let years simply by taking up residence again for a period before selling the property. In the situation described by you, resuming residence during the final 3 years doesn't achieve anything at all as the final 3 years are automatically exempted as a result of your ''use of the property as your residence at anytime in your ownership''.

If you live in it for 3 years (all exempt) and then let it for 10 years (final 3 years exempt due to using it as your residence earlier) , you will have a total of 6 years exempt out of total ownership period of 13 years.

7/13ths of the total gains will be chargeable gains. This will be reduced by lettings relief upto a maximum of £40,000 (or upto a maximum of £80,000 for a couple who have both used it as their residence). The remaining chargeable gains is reduced by maximum 10 years taper relief of 40% and CGT annual allowance( currently £8,800 for each owner (ie 2 x £8,800 for a coule). CGT is payable on the rest.

Alternatively you could become non-resident for 5 or more complete UK tax years and sell the property whilst still non-resident. But you need to consider whether any tax is charged by the country to which you have become resident of.

Finally, dying is another way of avoiding CGT as all CGT is washed out at death. However, Inheritance Tax is charged at death on net estate other than the first £285,000 (including some or all of lifetime transfers) and any amount left to the surviving spouse.

Ramnik
    Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by Tax Accountant View Post
      The simple answer is that your belief is a myth. You cannot ever undo all the let years simply by taking up residence again for a period before selling the property. In the situation described by you, resuming residence during the final 3 years doesn't achieve anything at all as the final 3 years are automatically exempted as a result of your ''use of the property as your residence at anytime in your ownership''.

If you live in it for 3 years (all exempt) and then let it for 10 years (final 3 years exempt due to using it as your residence earlier) , you will have a total of 6 years exempt out of total ownership period of 13 years.

7/13ths of the total gains will be chargeable gains. This will be reduced by lettings relief upto a maximum of £40,000 (or upto a maximum of £80,000 for a couple who have both used it as their residence). The remaining chargeable gains is reduced by maximum 10 years taper relief of 40% and CGT annual allowance( currently £8,800 for each owner (ie 2 x £8,800 for a coule). CGT is payable on the rest.

Alternatively you could become non-resident for 5 or more complete UK tax years and sell the property whilst still non-resident. But you need to consider whether any tax is charged by the country to which you have become resident of.

Finally, dying is another way of avoiding CGT as all CGT is washed out at death. However, Inheritance Tax is charged at death on net estate other than the first £285,000 (including some or all of lifetime transfers) and any amount left to the surviving spouse.

Ramnik
      Dying is rather extreme as a tax avoidance device and not usually recommended for most people.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        Dying is rather extreme as a tax avoidance device and not usually recommended for most people.
        I will take your word for it. But see below for clarification.

QUOTE: Dying is another way of avoiding CGT
        This was meant as a tounge in cheek comment.

QUOTE: All CGT is washed out at death. However, Inheritance Tax is charged at death on net estate other than the first £285,000 (including some or all of lifetime transfers) and any amount left to the surviving spouse.
        This was the real message conveyed in my reply.
        Hi Jeffrey,

Yes, I agree but see my comments in red above.

Ramnik

Comment

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated - what is the £40K letting relief and when does this apply?

Thanks
          Steve
          Many Thanks
          Steve P

Comment

Originally posted by stephenp View Post
            Thanks for your comments, much appreciated - what is the £40K letting relief and when does this apply?

Thanks
            Steve
            Letting Relief is given to reduce chargeable gains arising on the disposal of any property which has been:

'occupied as only or main residence' at anytime during the ownership
            AND ALSO
            'let as residential accommodation' at anytime during the ownership.

The amount of letting relief is available to each owner of the property as follows. If the property is owned by more than one person, eg a couple, each joint-owner is entitled to the letting relief in their own right against their share of the gains.

Therefore, if the property is jointly owned by 2 persons or a couple (married or simply partners), potential letting relief is upto £80,000, for 3 joint-owners it is upto £120,000, and so on.

Letting Relief is lower of:
            (a) £40,000, and
            (b) Equal to gain exempted as PPR relief for use as only or main residence, and
            (c) Equal to gain arising as a result of letting the property.

Therefore, maximum letting relief for one person against each property sold in any given tax year is £40,000, but this could be lower depending on the amounts at (b) and (c) below.

Ramnik

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Damaged artwork expense
              by ram

As per above, as the place is "part-furnished", which will not incude pictures on walls.

It's a gift to a stranger. ( They are not family, not close friends - etc. ) and not a claimable expence in any way..
              25-09-2021, 16:05 PM
            • Damaged artwork expense
              by jtufty
              Hi all

Silly minor question really. Last week the tenant accidentally knocked a framed picture off the wall and smashed it. It was only a cheap thing (I guess value was £10). I went out and bought a replacement picture for her. (I know I didnt have to, but shes a good tenant). I bought...
              24-09-2021, 10:35 AM
              by nukecad
              I'd see this as an altruistic gift to your tenant and leave it at that.

My previous LL (although he had his faults) used to buy the 3 of us in his small HMO a £20 case of beer each at Christmas, I doubt he tried to claim it off tax.
              25-09-2021, 15:46 PM
              by jtufty
              Its let "part-furnished". (she didnt have a bed, so I put a bed in there, and the white goods, and the [now-broken] picture and a few other bits n bobs)...
              25-09-2021, 15:13 PM
              by Section20z
              You don't need to write anything. Retain the receipt and just include the appropriate amount in youR expenses/capital totals...
              25-09-2021, 13:57 PM
              by ram

We assume the place is let as furnished ?

I don't think pictures are classed as furniture / but then again, a mirror screwed to the wall - if broken by the tenant, then the tenant pays.
              So pictures ? not sure.
              I would charge the tenant the cost of replacement.
              25-09-2021, 11:43 AM
              by jtufty
              Thanks guys. I dont know what came over me! A momentary wave of altruism. Most unlike me!

I have the receipt. What should I log it as? Should I literally just write "capital expense" or should I be more specific such as "replacement of broken picture"?
              25-09-2021, 06:45 AM
              by jpkeates
              It's a replacement item of furniture and its allowable as such.
              There's an inevitable element of betterment when you replace one thing with another.

And £40 is neither here nor there as a capital item.
              24-09-2021, 13:16 PM
              by Section20z
              That sounds definitely like an improvement as you didn't have to splash out £50 you crazy dude.
              £10 down to repairs and £40 capital expense I reckon.
              24-09-2021, 11:59 AM
            • Let Property Campaign.
              by armour
              Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
              13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
            Working...
            X