CGT Question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT Question

    We bought the house of the people next door 10 years ago and let them live there rent free.
    The property was vacated and sold in the last financial year after We had a builder completely renovate it.

    The work undertaken was

    New kitchen
    New bathroom
    Heating / electric overhaul
    Essential roof repairs
    complete redecoration
    New carpets throughout

    Please could anyone tell me , out of the above works . Which can we claim for against the CGT we will have to pay on the profit of the sale. Thanks

    A very good question.

    "We bought the house of the people next door 10 years ago and let them live there rent free."

    Tell us a bit more. How did this work? Do you have other properties on a similar basis? What state was the house in when first purchased? How did you finance the purchase?


      Hi Telometer
      Thanks for the response. Only other property is my main residence. Bought this property from owners & let them live rent free there for as long as they wished . Agreement( copy of with both solicitors )was they could live there rent £1 per year which was never offered or asked for , but as tenants they were responsible for updating/repair costs that came about during their tenancy I Purchased property from them outright with no mortgage . The house was in a reasonable state of repair when I purchased it. While tenants , no repairs at all were done to the property by them . Hence when it became vacant it was in need of complete renovation. Other than building works listed , new windows were put in.
      Hope this helps & thanks in anticipation.


        Why were you so generous?


          Hi Telometer
          Friendship + good long term investment.
          Have you any ideas on what elements of the building works that I can off set against the CGT that will be payable as a result of the profit on the sale ?


            My initial reaction is "none" as these are repair costs returning the asset to the state in which you acquired it.


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to CGT and income
              by Gordon999
              The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

              07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
            • CGT and income
              by slopemaster
              Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
              06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
            • Reply to CGT and income
              by slopemaster
              Thank you all
              06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
            • Reply to CGT and income
              by Lesney Park

              You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
              06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
            • Reply to CGT and income
              by jpkeates
              You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
              When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
              06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
            • Reply to CGT and income
              by theartfullodger
              60 days not 2 months.
              06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
            • SDLT and first time buyers
              by mpppen
              Hello again.

              Just wondering if someone can advise.

              If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

              If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
              03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
            • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
              by DoricPixie
              How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
              04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
            • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
              by jpkeates
              If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
              It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

              There's obviously...
              04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
            • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
              by AndrewDod
              Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
              04-07-2022, 14:45 PM