Reducing tax burden - unmarried couple

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Reducing tax burden - unmarried couple

    My fiancee and I jointly own a property that we initially lived in for 3 years but now rent out.

    She is no longer working and therefore is not using any of her tax allowance, whereas my earnings this year will push me into higher rate tax.

    I have read the comments regarding Declaration of Trust and Form 17, however can this still be used even though we are not married to apportion all of the income from rental to my fiancee (all of which will be covered by her tax allowance) thus reducing the tax burden to zero?


    No need to bother with any of that paperwork if you are not married. You just need to agree between yourselves how you wish to split the rent. Do document the agreement "We, Lloyd and Lloydette agree to share the rent of 9 Acadia Avenue 100:0 with effect from today. Signed and Dated."

    When/if you get married you will need the paperwork you mention.


      Quick confirmation


      I was looking into this very thing myself. I've just started renting out my house (its in my name with a mortgage), but I am on 40% tax (just). My partner whom I'm engaged to (but not married) is a normal rate tax payer. I live with her in her house.

      To enable the tax on the rental property to be taxed in her name is all I have to do is write a document saying that I give the rent 100% into her name with effect from today? Do I not have to send it somewhere or anything?

      I'd have thought the tax man would have wanted something more, but I have no clue in this field as its all very new to me.



        You need to own the property jointly. So give her 1%, say. And then agree to share the income so that she gets 100% of the income. Do the gift by trust, rather than having to register it at the land registry. And then that is it.

        When you get married, change the deed of trust so that she has 99% of the ownership of the property. Do this on the day you get married - sign the transfer as you sign the register. Then file Form 17 with HMRC.

        When you come to sell, you will want her to give you back most of her interest in the property as it will benefit you from a CGT point of view.


          Thanks Telometer,

          Could you or someone else tell me what forms I need to use to transfer ownership and then to transfer a percentage of the rent? Also who needs to see these?

          Sorry for being such a neophyte in this regard, but I've never been that hot on taxation law.

          A link to a website would help if no one can spare the time to explain.



            Go to see a solicitor who has a tax practice attached. You shouldn't be giving away bits of your properties and implementing tax strategies on the basis of gossip found on the internet.


            Latest Activity


            • CGT and income
              by slopemaster
              Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
              06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
            • Reply to CGT and income
              by Gordon999
              The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

              07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
            • Reply to CGT and income
              by slopemaster
              Thank you all
              06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
            • Reply to CGT and income
              by Lesney Park

              You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
              06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
            • Reply to CGT and income
              by jpkeates
              You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
              When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
              06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
            • Reply to CGT and income
              by theartfullodger
              60 days not 2 months.
              06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
            • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
              by DoricPixie
              How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
              04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
            • SDLT and first time buyers
              by mpppen
              Hello again.

              Just wondering if someone can advise.

              If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

              If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
              03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
            • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
              by jpkeates
              If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
              It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

              There's obviously...
              04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
            • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
              by AndrewDod
              Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
              04-07-2022, 14:45 PM