Land with Planning Permission - Tax?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Land with Planning Permission - Tax?

    If you are left a piece of land with planning permission and you sell are you liable to any tax (CGT etc.)? Does it make any difference if you are high/low tax bracket?



  • #2
    Was the piece of land valued after the PP was granted. I.E. the open Market Valus at the of the gift/Inheritance. Regards Peter


    • #3

      Not had it valued before or after.




      • #4
        You need the asset valued at the date of the gift. You need to use a qualified surveyor. Yes your IT tax postion will effect the CGT 18% or 20%.
        How long have you been the owner of the land. Regards Peter


        Latest Activity


        • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
          Hi All.
          Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
          We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
          The question I...
          20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
        • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
          One of my sources for the uncertainty as to whether money should be accounted as going through the agent's books is sections 1.2.2 and 1.2.4 of ICAEW TECH/03/11
          22-07-2017, 13:41 PM
        • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
          Whilst this is considered current best practice, and is in the RICS guidelines, the legislation that would have put it into effect was never "commenced", so it isn't a legal requirement. It is still true that it isn't the managing agent's money; it belongs to the service charge trust fund,...
          22-07-2017, 13:08 PM
        • tax rate question
          Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
          is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

          Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
          Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
          £40000-11,500 =...
          20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
        • Reply to tax rate question
 seems to confirm jpkeates worst fears.

          I would add that there are number of things, e.g. pension contributions not paid by the employer, and gift aid, that you can offset against the work salary. Additional income must be added, although, if that...
          22-07-2017, 12:42 PM
        • Reply to tax rate question
          Are you sure that's right?

          My understanding was that you add the capital gain (in full) to your taxable income and that sets the tax rate for the CGT.

          So you add £89k (total £100k less the £11k annual capital allowance) to the income that's taxable - (in this case, £28.5k)...
          22-07-2017, 12:09 PM
        • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
          The service charge funds belong to the leaseholders.

          The managing agents, on behalf of the leaseholders ask for work to be done.
          The bill arrives and they pay it on behalf of the leaseholders.( They pay the bottom line figure which includes vat if chargeable by the contractor )
          22-07-2017, 11:58 AM
        • Renting below market rate

          I having been renting out a property i have, to a mate, for below market rate. Last year for a couple of months, i received less rent than agreed due to unforeseen circumstances.

          So I should have received £17400, but only received £15,400, so I am in deficit of £2k....
          21-07-2017, 23:28 PM
        • Reply to Renting below market rate
          It depends if you forgave the rent or are still owed it.

          You are meant to complete a tax return on an accountancy (rather than a cash) basis, so you pay tax on the rent you are due, not the rent you receive and use a bad debt provision for any rent owed but not received.

          22-07-2017, 09:24 AM
        • Reply to Renting below market rate
          Alternatively (what I do..) is I declare all the rent I SHOULD get, then under "other expenses" include bad-debt, unpaid rent, in your case £2k.

          If you later get this, or some, add to rental income amount.

          Sincerely hope you are evicting "friend" and suing...
          22-07-2017, 07:34 AM