Will I have to pay cgt on my property which I have both lived in and rented out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I have to pay cgt on my property which I have both lived in and rented out?

I've accepted an offer on my residential property. I bought it at the start of 2002 when I lived in it for 6 months. I rented it out until mid 2006 when I lived in it again for a year before renting. I then moved back in start of 2011. Will I have to pay capital gains tax?

I have one more question. I have found loads of basic calculators on line but none allow me to input dates of living in what has essentially been a rental property. Can anyone forward me a link to a more sophisticated calculator?

You need to provide actual dates and values, your costs of acquistion and an estimate of the sales and legal fees and you estimated gross Income this FY. It sounds if that it will qualify are your PPR and the last 36 months will be exempt, read HS283 on the HMRC web site and you will be entitled to claim Letting Relief of up to £40,000 to further offset and CG liability. Regards Peter

Comment

Purchased March 2002 for £325,000
      Selling January 2012 for 650,000
      Residential first six months of 2002
      Residential June 2006 to July 2007
      Residential Feb 2011 to current
      All other times rented
      Stamp duty on purchase (not sure but what ever percentage was at the time)
      Legal fees on purchase £500
      Legal fees on sale £800
      Agency fee on sale 2.5% plus vat
      Income 70k
      Lease extension 40k (paid out whilst residential)

Comment

I have assumed you lived there as you only private residence from March to Sept. The lease cost is allowable and the numbers look like this :
        Purchase 325000 14/03/2002
        Disposal 650,000 14/01/2012
        Total Gain 264,200
        PRR 143,295 64 118
        Capital Gain 120,905
        Lett Relief 40,000 Qual Days 1310
        Net Gain 80,905
        CG Allow 10,600
        CGT 18% 0 0
        CGT 28% 19,685 19,685

CGT Bill 19,685

Are you married and have you signed the exchange contract yet. Regards Peter

Comment

Yes, it is my only private residence

I'm single and I haven't signed exchange yet.

Also, I purchased a lease extension on another rental property for £30,000 for the tax year of 2010 to 2011. Can I use this to bring down my liability?

Comment

Where did you live when you were not living here, and why?

Comment

When not living in the flat which I'm due to sell, I was living in the other property on which this year I obtained a lease extension for 30k. I moved because I was bored living in the other place.

Comment

I think a lease extension can only be claimed against the disposal of the property that related to the lease. Regards Peter

Comment

One of the two lease extensions was on the property which I'm currently selling but I purchased the extension during the brief time I lived there. Can this extension still be claimed against the disposal of the property? If not, what would be final cgt bill?

Comment

The figure I gave you includes the £40,000 lease extension. Regards Peter

Comment

I've been advised by another source that I can't offset the cost of the lease extension on the other rented flat on my tax return for this year. I can only claim against the disposal of the property once I sell it. This leaves me with a hefty tax bill when I sell my residential property. If I have my other flat completely refurbished, can I offset this amount against my tax return or must I still wait until I sell the flat. I suppose this question is whether the amount is a capital expense or maintenance expense?

Comment

As I said a Lease Extension is only deductible from the disposal of the property the lease refers to. A refurb would be a revenue issue so would change your capital position. A 20K CGT bill is not a lot compared to the £325 K gain you have made and a rental income over the rented periods. Regards Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                          by jpkeates
                          You have to make the return to tell HMRC there is no tax to pay, if that's the case.
                          There is no option not to tell HMRC....
                          09-12-2021, 09:58 AM
                        • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                          by reluctantlandlord1976
                          I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                          06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                          by Gordon999
                          I think Andrew is correct .

You start with 1/3 interest ( in 1982 valued at £6500 ? ) plus 1/6 interest from parent1 ( valued at £20K ?) plus 1/2 interest from parent 2 ( valued at £60K ? ). This probably takes your total entry cost to around £40K.

Your total capital...
                          09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
                          by reluctantlandlord1976
                          Hi Andrew
                          First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
                          08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
                          by jpkeates
                          Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
                          08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
                          by AndrewDod
                          Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
                          08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
                          by reluctantlandlord1976
                          jpkeates
                          There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
                          08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
                          by jpkeates
                          I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
                          It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
                          08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
                          by reluctantlandlord1976
                          Morning Andrew
                          Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
                          I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
                          08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
                          by AndrewDod
                          As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
                          The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
                          The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
                          08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
                        Working...
                        X