Accountant advice needed for 2 co-owned properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant advice needed for 2 co-owned properties

I co-own two properties with my brother, which have both been rented out for approximately the last 5 years via two different letting agents. One is a house which rents for approx. £1800 pcm and the other is a flat which rents for approx. £550 pcm.

The agents pay the money into one of my bank accounts each month, and when we need the cash I transfer some from this account to my spending account, and an equal amount to another of my accounts which I then transfer money to my brother from when he needs it.

It has recently come to my attention that the agent for the house has been paying our tax for us at source, while the agent of the flat hasn’t.

Throughout the entire period of renting, I have had no other employment, and my brother has been living and working in Asia, so presumably isn’t liable for any UK tax.

I therefore surmise, that he is due a refund of tax paid at source on the house, and I may be liable for more tax on the flat.

I would now like to get things on a sensible footing - put things in the hands of an accountant who can set up a Limited Company, establish a bank account for the company, and retrospectively sort out any tax owing or due for refund. Hopefully he will also be able to reclaim some costs of works and equipment that have been carried out on the premises over the years.

I have no idea how much I should expect to pay an accountant for this work, and perhaps to audit the books once a year from now on. Could anybody suggest a ball park figure?

I would also gladly accept any recommendations for a suitable accountant in the Essex/London region of the UK.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jargonaut; 23-09-2011, 17:15 PM. Reason: typo

1. You do not want or need a company. It will cost you in fees.

2. You do need an accountant to sort out this mess.

Comment

Oh dear.

Go and speak to a few accountants to get quotes.
      I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

Best to do some homework first before contacting an accountant.

Each brother has a gross annual rental income of 50% of 12 x ( 1800 + 550)pds which comes to about 14100 pds per year. The allowable expenses deductable against rental income is the letting agent fees plus buildings insurance (for house) and ground rent & service charge (for flat). If these expenses were ,say, approx 2100 , then the taxable profit would be 12000 for each brother.

Each brother can claim a Personal Allowance for last year 10/11 at 6475 which leaves taxable sum 12000-6475 = 5525 and tax due at 20% = 1100 pds approx. So if the estate agent for house has deducted more than 2200 tax over the year, then there may be a refund due for each brother.

So the taxable profit for each of the past 5 years must be calculated and a tax return submitted by each brother . The brother living overseas must register with HMRC as non-resident status.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
          06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
        • Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          Thank you Gordon, didn't see your response this afternoon. I will look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow as it's late now.
          I've put some figures in my reply to a post just now but answers below to your questions.

a] £80k Jan 2021 sale price.
          b] As property purchased before...
          08-12-2021, 00:55 AM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          Andrew, apologies only just seen your post [was it awaiting approval did you say?] answers are:

Purchased March 1982 as joint tenancy - so equal split of 33 1/3% each party
          Parent 2 died September 2007 - as joint tenancy I inherited their share - so at this point I own 100% of property...
          08-12-2021, 00:41 AM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          JP Keates
          I wasn't aware that refurbishment deductions only applied in terms of letting out the property. On the CGT calculator it asked 'How much have you spent on improvements since you became the property owner'.....

Here's the timeline:

March 1982 - 1992 3 Owners,...
          07-12-2021, 18:01 PM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          JP Keates et al - thank you very much for your assistance. I have this afternoon emailed an accountant to try and get an appointment urgently. I hadn't realised it was all so complicated and it was remiss of me to not be aware of the CGT changes made in 2020 due to not renting out the property. Thanks...
          07-12-2021, 17:28 PM
          by jpkeates
          Refurbishment while you were living there is only allowable against CGT if it was solely and exclusively for the business, so if it was to prepare the property to be let, it would be OK.
          If it was simply to improve what was then your home, it fails the basic test.

Get yourself to...
          07-12-2021, 16:22 PM
          by AndrewDod
          The probate resets a lot of the stuff, but my main response was unapproved
          07-12-2021, 15:36 PM
          by AndrewDod
          You are really short on detail:

Date (year & month) bought in joint names ______ (what % was yours then)
          Date it converted to your sole name ______ (presumable date of death of parent 2?)
          Declared vale at probate _________
          Capital expenses between date of probate 2...
          07-12-2021, 15:33 PM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          We were all joint owners. Bought it with parents. I lived there for 10 years before buying own home. I became sole owner upon their deaths. Rented out since 2007-2019. Empty last two year as trying to sell. Hence I was off the landlord radar. I am now extremely worried by your statement that refurbishment...
          07-12-2021, 14:53 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Let us know the exact timescale and money involved year by year - I am sure some kind person (or even myself) with do a calculation for you so that you can assess the risks involved
          07-12-2021, 14:33 PM
        Working...
        X