Are service charges VAT exempt?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Are service charges VAT exempt?

    In these circumstances do you think the service charge would be VAT exempt?
    If so, I imagine it would benefit the landlord as he could reclaim the VAT output?

    - Apartment block of 10
    - Management company is managed by apartment owners
    - Management company owns freehold
    - Management company is VAT registered
    - Service Charge is paid to Management company

    Is this relevant?

    Thanks for any views.

    This is an apartment block of residential property. Rent on residential property is exempt from VAT. The VAT treatment of service charges follows that for rent.

    Therefore the supply of service charge is exempt from VAT.

    The consequence of making exempt supplies is that the input (sic - not output) tax is not reclaimable by the landlord.


      1. If both the management company and freehold are owned by all 10 flats , I would expect the collection of annual ground rent to cease.

      2. The building maintenance expenses charged to service charge account and shared by the flat owners may include suppliers VAT rated bill such as electric bill ( 5 % VAT charged) cleaning co ( 20% VAT charged )and audit accountant ( 20% VAT) etc.


        Originally posted by Floob View Post
        In these circumstances do you think the service charge would be VAT exempt?
        V.A.T. threshold is £ 73000, and for a flat with £ 7300 per year service charge
        would be time to find somewhere else. ( £ 1300 per year each is a strarting point )

        But remember, you don't sell anything, and service charge is there ONLY to pay
        the bills.
        How would you like your bank to charge you V.A.T. on the money in your
        bank account, that is there only to pay bills.
        As that's what service charges are -- Just there to pay the bills.
        Putting it in it's very simplest form.


        So no, Residential


          A number of your costs will not be subject to VAT the largest often being Insurance so the net receipts from VAT will be more than you can reclaim. So if your block bill is £10000 plus vat is £12000 you each pay £1200 and £2000 is "paid out" to HMRC.

          As the £10000 includes say £2000 for insurance your reclaim is say 20% of £8000 say £1600 so that's £2000 paid out and £1600 back.

          This is very simple example and yes I am ignoring lower rates such as energy at 5%.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.


            There seems to be some confusing comments about the management company charges and OP should clarify if this is a real or hypothetical situation.

            A management company owning the freehold of just ONE block of 10 apartments and with no collection of annual ground rent , would be held as " a dormant company " in annual returns to Companies House and definitely not be registered for VAT with hmrc. The service charge account would be run under a few leaseholders or handed over an external managing agent whose annual management fee ( say around 200pds per flat ) may be subjected to VAT.

            This means there is no 20% VAT applied on the annual service charge payable by each apartment owner.


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by Thurrock1

              the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
              25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
            • Corporation Tax
              by Thurrock1
              Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
              My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
              He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
              23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by jpkeates
              If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
              24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by theartfullodger
              IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
              24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by Thurrock1
              Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

              It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
              24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by Gordon999
              The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

              After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
              24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
            • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
              by Neelix
              In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
              18-11-2021, 07:54 AM
            • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
              by nukecad
              Flag any of your posts (the little flag at the bottom of them) and ask the moderator if he can change the name for you....
              17-11-2021, 23:00 PM
            • Student HMO and Holiday let
              by lewis593
              Hello everyone. Can I rent my 4 bed property to students and holiday makers at the same time? For example 3 bedrooms will be used for students and 1 bedroom will be used as a holiday let. Would this have any tax/council tax implications? Would it be classed as a holiday let and be liable for business...
              17-11-2021, 19:54 PM
            • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
              by lewis593
              Can I rent my air b and b property to students?
              17-11-2021, 20:34 PM