Confused and new

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Confused and new

    Hi, apologies if this is not in the correct area. A few years ago my father inherited a property when my nan died, it took a number of years to go through probate for various reasons, but we have now decided to renovate it and rent it out (mainly to avoid the council tax bills we have accumilated!)

    The property is currently in the name of my father and my aunt, my father will next year buy the property off my aunt and own it outright. My father has a pension and works part time, so we would like to put the house in my mothers name, as she doesnt work. Who would be the best people to talk to about this, accountants or solicitors?

    We would also like to try and avoid further inheritance tax charges, as we have just paid 40% on the property, so is it possible to put the property in my mother and my brothers name, but only my mother pay tax on the rental income?

    Finally my parents home, if we wanted to avoid inheritance tax on this, what is the best way to do this, or would it be an accountant or solicitor we would need to see?

    Sorry for the probably dumb questions, but we are new to this, and due to become landlords a little by accident! Thanks for reading.

    A tax advisor will be able to help you.

    Its probably better to make a calculation depending on your father's taxable income, the level of the rental profits etc to decide whether its worth to transfer to your mather's name.

    For inheritance tax purposes, again, it depends on the total value of the estate (£650k for both your parents together).

    I suggest you go to see an accountant or a tax advisor


      A tax adviser (sic) will help you. There will be more than one way to achieve this, and there are several possible outcomes from a tax perspective.

      To enable me to help you more please provide:

      1. Value of property today
      2. Value of property at probate
      3. Costs incurred on renovation since probate
      4. Value of your parents' combined estate


      Latest Activity


      • VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
        Evening all,

        We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

        The planners have requested...
        16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
      • Short tax return
        I have one letting property. I have always used a short tax return which has been fine for giving totals of rent and costs inc mortgage interest. Now that the allowance for mortgage interest is reducing by 25% every year how do I show the figures? Whichever tax return I use, do I do the calculations...
        16-01-2018, 14:40 PM
      • Reply to Short tax return
        Apologies, I failed to include Theresa's link:

        Just done my draft submission: In a state of shock regarding estimated payment required 31/01/2018.
        16-01-2018, 16:26 PM
      • Reply to Short tax return
        Sorry artful, I don't understand why you are asking me that. I haven't checked against Thersa's document (what is that?). I just want to know how I show the reduced mortgage interest claim against profit.
        16-01-2018, 16:14 PM
      • Reply to Short tax return
        When you checked against Theresa's document here, what did you conclude? What total profit & what total rental income please?
        16-01-2018, 14:50 PM
      • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)

        I need some advice so please for help.

        My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
        Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
        We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified...
        14-01-2018, 05:54 AM
      • Reply to How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
        If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office...
        15-01-2018, 23:05 PM
      • Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT

        Please can someone clarify what HMRC is referring to with the statement below
        If the larger share is given outright as a gift

        If you take a bigger share but don’t pay anything in return, there’s no ‘consideration’ given including taking on liability for a mortgage. You...
        07-10-2017, 12:13 PM
      • Reply to Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
        Just picking up on this thread. I'm still not clear on the consideration point where there is a mortgage that both parties are jointly responsible for. Can the DoT be written such to confirm that only net equity is being transferred, therefore no consideration and no SDLT? The 3% additional rate is...
        15-01-2018, 15:38 PM
      • Becoming landlords for the first time this summer - tax advice
        This summer, probably July 2018, we intend to rent out our three bedroom home and move a few miles down the road to the next town. We will rent a flat or house ourselves. We want to be within the catchment area of a better state school for our child than what is on offer where we currenty live. We may...
        14-01-2018, 15:58 PM