Tax relief for breaking tenants items and replacting them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax relief for breaking tenants items and replacting them?

Whilst undertaking some repair works to the property, some of my tenants items were damaged and in the end i had to cover the costs of these items after a legal settlement at a value of around £3,000.

Would this £3,000 be allowable as a deduction against rents in the Tax Return?

Surely you were insured and made a claim. Regards Peter

Comment

Yes a deduction would be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
        Are you able to confirm any HMRC guideance that says this so i have it for reference before i put in a £3k expense claim?

Comment

Loads of it: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim37000.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisl View Post
            Whilst undertaking some repair works to the property, some of my tenants items were damaged and in the end i had to cover the costs of these items after a legal settlement at a value of around £3,000.
            Out of interest, what on earth happened?

Comment

Erm i actually have no idea.
              I have just been asked to see if i can find out the answer for someone and dont really know the ins and outs or whether the insurance did cover it which it doesnt sound like it did.

Comment

I think you will need to distinguish the different items, such as repair etc will be able to claim tax deduction.

However, some items like sofa etc, it depends on whethere you had made the 10% wear and tear claim or on renewable basis.

Comment

Originally posted by RentalTax View Post
                  However, some items like sofa etc, it depends on whethere you had made the 10% wear and tear claim or on renewable basis.
                  Absolutely not so.

It is completely impossible for a 10% wear and tear claim to have been made in respect of any of the assets referred to by OP.

Comment

Absolutely not so.

It is completely impossible for a 10% wear and tear claim to have been made in respect of any of the assets referred to by OP.
                    The cost of repairing or maintaining furniture and fittings is allowed whether the renewable basis or the wear and tear allowance is claimed.

If the landlord has been claiming 10% wear and tear claim, the cost of REPLACING of the furniture would not be able to be claimed.

Comment

Of course the generality of your statement at #8 is true. However what relevance does that have to OP? It's not very helpful to post true but irrelevant and therefore misleading information on here. Please don't.

Comment

Well then you have agreed that your advice is flawed...

Comment

You have no understanding, do you.

OP has a rental flat. During repair works some of the tenants' property was damaged. OP has to repay the tenants for this damage. A tax deduction is allowed for the payment by OP.

No need to complicate it by worrying about W&T/renewals basis as it's completely irrelevant for OP.

Comment

RentalTax - I think you should rename yourself.

I have read about half of your 11 posts to date - most of which have missed the tax point. Either you are not trained, or are training with the best of intentions. Either way, it's best not to be so definitive when your knowledge base is weak.
                            I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

Originally posted by Phlash View Post
                              RentalTax - I think you should rename yourself.

I have read about half of your 11 posts to date - most of which have missed the tax point. Either you are not trained, or are training with the best of intentions. Either way, it's best not to be so definitive when your knowledge base is weak.
                              Tactfully put.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
                                by Phyllis
                                I have inherited a property from my father. It needs TOTAL refurbishment and Is suited to conversion into two self contained, three bedroom flats. My plan is to rent the flats out once refurbished. I realise there are many things to consider and am finding it overwhelming at the moment. I initially...
                                19-11-2019, 21:53 PM
                              • Reply to Capital gains on selling House pre/post April 2020
                                by juwelkeeper
                                Thanks jpkeates
                                19-11-2019, 19:43 PM
                              • Capital gains on selling House pre/post April 2020
                                by juwelkeeper
                                Hi

I have a house which is currently rented and I am considering selling it.I just did some calculations and it seems the changes to the lettings relief will sting me but I want to make sure I have got my calculations correct. Details are:

I brought the house for £33.360...
                                16-11-2019, 05:38 AM
                                by jpkeates
                                Letting Relief is capped at the lowest of:

£40,000
                                The taxable gain or
                                The amount of PRR

So in the example in your first post the PRR is £114 and change, the taxable gain is £27475 and £40k is £40k.
                                So the lowest of those is £27475 and so you'd owe nothing....
                                19-11-2019, 17:39 PM
                                by juwelkeeper
                                So if for arguments sake i had £39000 left after taking away expenses and PPR i would still pay zero as im still under the £40000 limit , am i reading this right ....
                                19-11-2019, 16:55 PM
                                by juwelkeeper
                                Well thats handy to know that its at exchange of contracts and not completion as it might buy me a bit more time.
                                Thanks for the info...
                                19-11-2019, 16:51 PM
                              • Cgt tax enquiry
                                by Bill31
                                Hi have hmrc investigating my cgt form for a asset i sold. It was my only property I owned.
                                Theres a error in the calculation of cost which is being sorted.
                                There also asking details of what property was used for during ownership. First year i owned it i did renovation work and lived there...
                                15-11-2019, 21:10 PM
                              • Reply to Cgt tax enquiry
                                by jpkeates
                                Ah, never good if HMRC find something wrong first.

Where you live is a matter of fact, based on the specific circumstances.
                                If you regarded the property as your home and paid council tax and had the utility bills in your name, HMRC will have to present a good argument to overcome...
                                19-11-2019, 14:15 PM
                              • Reply to Cgt tax enquiry
                                by Bill31
                                HMRC are already aware, they are doing a compliance check. thats how i figured out i didnt understood fully what PPR entails. obviously on my return i claimed for this, and now realised i couldnt as it wasnt my main full time residence, despite staying there a couple days a week on and off.
                                19-11-2019, 12:53 PM
                              • Jersey Bank interest on uk self-assessment form
                                by royboy1
                                Hi
                                Got question with regards to income tax
                                I’m a British citizen, non-resident in the uk and Eu.
                                At present I file a uk self-assessment every year for uk property income.
                                I have a bank account in jersey, that has just started to pay interest
                                on some very small savings,...
                                19-11-2019, 05:29 AM
                              Working...
                              X