Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can non-owner be landlord, tax implications etc

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right section or not.

My partner is going to be renting out her property, which is fully owned in her name. My question is, can I be the landlord named on the tenancy agreement, with payment being sent electronically in my name to our joint account? But still having her liable for the tax on that income?

I suppose the only reason for doing this, is to try and remove my partners identification from the actual tenancy agreement, so they deal directly with me. Thus preventing them from obtaining her name and linking it to her old address in an attempt to commit ID Fraud. But without passing on any tax liabilities directly to myself.

Is this possible and would it even work/prevent possible ID theft or could they still figure it out if any old post got through the net?

Thanks

So you'd prefer T to sue you (rather than the owner)?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I suppose, if they needed to, then the answer would be yes.

Other than me being liable to them as a landlord (and having defend against potential litigation) can the above situation work with regards to tax (i.e. my partner still remaining resposonsible) and would it remove any chance of ID fraud?

I'm basically the one making sure we comply with our legal obligations, she isn't geting involved.

Forgot to mention, not sure if this matters, but we are not yet married.

Comment

If it is fully owned in her name then the tax liability should continue to be hers.

Are you married/not?

Comment

Not married yet, so she will be responsible for filling in the tax return, but I can still be named on the AST as landlord and receive payment in my name into our joint account?

Comment

She will be responsible for filling in the tax return even if you do marry.

I suppose I have a slight concern with the use of a joint bank account. Normally taxable income is viewed as belonging to the owner of the item generating the income. Exceptionally, if the income ends up with somebody else, then it could potentially be viewed as being the income of that other party.

Now if your P wanted to rent it out, take the money, and then give it to you (after she'd paid tax) that's absolutely fine.

Why not pay the money into her bank account? In fact, why not stop all this faffing and put her name on the tenancy agreement. It'll cost you more to add your name (as apparent landlord, but not owner) to the insurance.

Comment

It has to be asked: OP, what will you do if the relationship fails?
              You'l be stuck as L with obligations for a property that you do not own.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Well one of my main reasons for wanting to do it that way was to prevent future tenants from having her name and previous address as I had read about various types of ID fraud, so only wanted to check if was possible and that I wouldn't be liable for tax.

I suppose it is getting a bit dodgey by having income being paid in my name but actually belonging to her. Ultimately it would be "joint" income and going towards paying other household bills etc which is why we would want it paying into a joint account.

I wasn't aware that doing this would add to the cost of insurance either, so thats something to think about also.

I might just be easier setting it up in her own name then.

Comment

Are you in Scotland, as here we have to register as the LL as the true owner of the property. Regards Peter

Comment

In England, so I guess that means she needs to be the landlord then.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to When to claim accountant expense, same year or can it be added to previous year?
                      by Gordon999
                      The accountant has to start work after 6 April 2021 in order to cover the whole tax year of 2020-2021..

So accountant's bill is correctly entered as an expense in current year.
                      19-10-2021, 09:09 AM
                    • When to claim accountant expense, same year or can it be added to previous year?
                      by cuttingman
                      Doing tax return for 2020-2021, paid accountant at the beginning of this month to check it. I gave them all my expenses including their fees and they put it in the tax return. But now that I thought about it because I paid in the 2021-2022 tax year I should add this expense to the next tax return....
                      18-10-2021, 11:42 AM
                    • Reply to When to claim accountant expense, same year or can it be added to previous year?
                      by jpkeates
                      Expenses should be claimed when they're committed or paid, so it looks like a mistake to me.
                      18-10-2021, 11:59 AM
                    • Reply to CGT check appreciated, thanks in advance!
                      by Gordon999
                      OK. Your capital gain =£22,242 less £12, 300 = £9942 x 18% = £ 1790 tax bill to pay.
                      17-10-2021, 17:53 PM
                    • CGT check appreciated, thanks in advance!
                      by tatemono
                      Would really appreciate some help checking figures. Figures below are halved because my sister and I inherit in equal shares.
                      • property valued at £187,500 at date of mother's death in Jan 2015
                      • recent sale value £217,500
                      • improvement costs £5,318
                      • costs of sale: £2,440.50
                      • no reliefs
                      • my profit
                      16-10-2021, 15:15 PM
                    • Reply to CGT Query
                      by jessa46
                      Thanks for reply, much appreciated.
                      I asked my solicitor about the 30 day rule and he emailed me back saying I didn't need to do this as no cgt to pay but, as I do a yearly self assessment, to include it my self assessment. I'll be sending it off this week. There's a website called 'xxxx' which...
                      17-10-2021, 16:33 PM
                    • CGT Query
                      by jessa46
                      I have never claimed CGT allowance but may need to after selling an inherited property. The property gained in value during probate. The sold price was £153k and the valuation at death for 'capital gains purposes' was £130000. There are 3 shares. My share of selling price is £51k and share of gain...
                      13-10-2021, 17:37 PM
                    • Reply to CGT Query
                      by AndrewDod
                      - You have to submit the CGT calculations within 30 days regardless of whether there is CGT to pay (else you get large and increasing fines)

No it is not added to your income for this purpose
                      17-10-2021, 15:54 PM
                    • Reply to CGT Query
                      by jessa46
                      Thank you for replies. Re how it was valued, this is where my head spins. Our mum passed away around 8 years ago. We got probate in 2019. Property was transferred into 3 siblings names in 2020, so that we could benefit from personal CGT allowance. The solicitor sent us a document 'for hmrc cgt purposes'...
                      17-10-2021, 15:13 PM
                    • Reply to CGT check appreciated, thanks in advance!
                      by AndrewDod
                      I'd imagine it would be payable as CGT by the individuals. Certainly that would apply to interest earned on savings during probate so don't think CGT would be different. It is definitely not payable by the estate (that would be grossly unfair to some beneficiaries who had not used various allowances)....
                      17-10-2021, 13:05 PM
                    Working...
                    X