VAT on residential sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on residential sale

Under the now-operative Standard Conditions of Sale (5th edition), figures in the Contract- so far as concerns the property price and the contents- include VAT. However, Special Conditions can make explicit provision to the contrary.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

I beleive that partially built houses sold before site completion is a treated as a trade in supply of property and is subject to standard rate VAT. But if it is sold after site completion, it becomes VAT exempt .

But where can you find rules for leasehold property ? Is an extension of lease from 80 years back to 99 years subject to VAT ?

Comment

Assume a purchase (V to P). Whether a transaction involves P paying VAT depends on these factors:
      1. Is V a VAT-registered trader? If yes, see 2; if no, P pays no VAT.
      2. Is the transaction subject to VAT at all? It might be:
      a. zero-rated (and, if so, P pays no VAT);
      b. standard-rated (and, if so, P pays VAT); or
      c. exempt (and, if so, P pays no VAT unless V waives exemption).
      3. Unless the Contract stipulates that P must pay VAT on top of the purchase price stated, the price is deemed to be inclusive of VAT [if any]: SCS (5th. edition) say so.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X