Dual Taxation Agreement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Taxation Agreement.

I have property in the UK which I rent out and submit tax returns. I also have a Property in France which produces a small rental income. Obviously I had to submit a French Tax return done by a French Accountant and the result was that under the French Tax rules after expences I only had to pay €26 in French Tax.
    So when I do my UK tax return presumably I will have to enter the rent recieved (less expences) but how do I show it in order for me not to be taxed on it twice.

In the UK you need to convert all income and expenditure into sterling on the date they were incurred. And then add up your income less expenditure. This will be a different result from the French result owing to differences in tax law, and the exchange rates. If it is a profit, say £200, apply the UK tax rate (20%), and then calculate the UK tax due £40. Then offset the €26 (converted to sterling at the date you paid it = say £19) against your tax payable, leaving total tax payable of £21.

In the event that it shows a loss for UK purposes, of say £100, then you get relief for the French tax as expense relief. So say €26 = £19, your total tax loss for the year is £119.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X