Tax on only owned property, letted out on repayment mortgage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax on only owned property, letted out on repayment mortgage?

Hi
    I wondered if anybody could advise on what sort of taxes/allowances I need to familiarize myself with in the following circumstance:

I own one property which I lived in for 11 years. I am shortly to be made redundant, and have let the house out because I couldn't sell it. The rent does not cover the mortgage, which is repayment - £300 short. I looked into changing the mortgage to interest-only and was refused because there is insufficient equity (but I do have a consent to let from my provider). I will probably sell the property down the line when I can. I do not own or rent another residence.

I'm struggling to figure this out because much of the information I can find assumes buy-to-let mortgages and that the property is a second one. Any advice on my tax situation here would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers.

Originally posted by jinny1 View Post
    I'm struggling to figure this out because much of the information I can find assumes buy-to-let mortgages and that the property is a second one.
    It makes no difference.

You pay tax on the difference between income received and expenses. Remember the repayment element of the mortgage is not tax deductible.

Comment

To understand your tax on income situation, you need to calculate your "total income" for 2011-2012tax year including estimated earnings from your job and profit from rental of property.

The rental profit = 12 months rent - 12months mortgage interest - buildings insurance - cost of repairs - letting agent fees -bank account charges etc. If the profit is actually a loss , then the loss is carried forward to next year .

The total income less personal allowance ( 7450 ?) becomes liable to income tax.

When the property is sold, there may be liability to CGT but you are exempt for the period under own occupation + a further 3 years from date you moved out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
        by AndrewDod
        Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
        25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
        by Another Fine Mess
        If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
        24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
      • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
        by shipboard
        I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
        24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
        by gnvqsos
        I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
        24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
      • Reply to CGT query
        by Gordon999
        Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
        24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
        by Gordon999
        I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
        24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
        by jpkeates
        I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
        It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
        24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
      • CGT query
        by vik238754
        Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
        23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
      • Reply to CGT query
        by jpkeates
        What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
        24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
      • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
        by mpppen
        Hello,
        We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
        03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
      Working...
      X