What do you pay your accountant?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you pay your accountant?!

Would be very interested to know how much other landlords are paying to have their lettings accounts prepared?

On what basis are you charged - do you hand over a shoebox full of receipts and bank statements, or a neat summary spreadsheet printout - does the different level of work involved get reflected in the fee charged?

Are you charged on a 'per-property' basis - do you get charged less per property the more you have?

We’ve only got one property. We paid £250 + VAT for two tax returns.
    We hand over a folder containing receipts, invoices, bank statements etc.

We found our accountant through an advert on this site.

Comment

i pay about 2k pa for accounts for ltd co and sole trader accounts covering 90tenants (about 20 builidngs)

Comment

We pay roughly the same as Mrs Mug does, for two returns, but we submit a figure for the total of the maintenance/repair receipts rather than the receipts themselves. (They are available if he wants them).
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I hand over a spreadsheet printout based on my bank account which I list in date order starting from 5th April. Against that I detail who I paid and what it was for. I do the same for rent received. I then prepare a page where I list all the expenses and do a gross and net profit. All my bills are listed and I detail as to how they were paid, ie Cheque,DD.SO, etc. I then do a Motoring Expence list detailing all the visits I have to make to my rented premises and is it 42p per mile. I then hand the completed "Balance Sheet" to my accountant to check my additions. And I am charged £150 + Vat.
          Mind you using the same spreadsheet (Visicalc then Microsoft Works ) I have used the same method for over 120 Vat Returns and it works for me.

Comment

42p per mile?
            I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

I itemise my rental and other income on an excel spreadsheet. All receipts and invoices are filed in a folder in date order and the accountant has access to them if they so wish. I also provide them with a list of all payments from bank accounts or credit cards together with copies of the relevant pages from these accounts, and copies of interest earned in any account.

I pay £500 a year (£125 every three months), a substantial rise from the bookkeepers I used the last few years but I wanted to ensure I got all my allowances. I was hoping that they would look at my figures and advise if I should buy something rather than incur additional tax. If I do not get the approriate advice I will revert to a bookkeepers services.

I claim 40p per mile for the first 10k business or solely work related miles. If I exceed 10k miles I will claim 25p per mile thereafter in line with HMRC since 2002 - 2003. When will they increase that figure, it is out of date?

pm
              Last edited by property mongrel; 15-03-2011, 13:05 PM. Reason: smell check
              Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Phlash View Post
                42p per mile?
                Thats why in my blog I put "Is it 42p per mile" And "Property Mongrel" has said that it is 40p per mile.
                Lets hope it goes up in the budget to 50P.

Comment

Originally posted by Always Problems View Post
                  Thats why in my blog I put "Is it 42p per mile" And "Property Mongrel" has said that it is 40p per mile.
                  Lets hope it goes up in the budget to 50P.
                  HMRC says that it's 40p- so that's what it is (at least until 23 March).
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Don't forget that the 40p per mile does not include finance charges for the vehicle (less any restriction for private use). So loan interest etc is allowable in addition to the mileage claim.

If you don't want to use 40p per mile, you are entitled to use the statutory method (all expenses + capital allowances, less a restriction for private use).

Comment

What sort of vehicle cost, or annual mileage would make it better to go for the "statutory method"?

I have a letter from my insurance company that my business use adds £50 to my annual insurance premiums, so I will be factoring that into my accounts.

In the last 2 months my mileage has been 90% business, but I know towards autumn and year end this will change to around buisness 70/30 private, and 50/50 in winter.

pm
                      Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Originally posted by property mongrel View Post
                        What sort of vehicle cost, or annual mileage would make it better to go for the "statutory method"?

I have a letter from my insurance company that my business use adds £50 to my annual insurance premiums, so I will be factoring that into my accounts.

In the last 2 months my mileage has been 90% business, but I know towards autumn and year end this will change to around buisness 70/30 private, and 50/50 in winter.

pm
                        Getting slightly off topic.

Probably a bit difficult to generalise, so very much dependant on individual circumstances.

IMHO, 40p per mile is not very realistic for (say) a petrol engined car over 2000 cc, with high maintenance & repairs, high emissions and insurance. Although the concept of "expensive" cars has now disappeared (now emissions based), it still applies to cars acquired before 6 April 2009.

Comment

45p per mile now.

What is £600?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                            by reluctantlandlord1976
                            Thank you Gordon, didn't see your response this afternoon. I will look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow as it's late now.
                            I've put some figures in my reply to a post just now but answers below to your questions.

a] £80k Jan 2021 sale price.
                            b] As property purchased before...
                            08-12-2021, 00:55 AM
                          • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                            by reluctantlandlord1976
                            I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                            06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                            by reluctantlandlord1976
                            Andrew, apologies only just seen your post [was it awaiting approval did you say?] answers are:

Purchased March 1982 as joint tenancy - so equal split of 33 1/3% each party
                            Parent 2 died September 2007 - as joint tenancy I inherited their share - so at this point I own 100% of property...
                            08-12-2021, 00:41 AM
                            by reluctantlandlord1976
                            JP Keates
                            I wasn't aware that refurbishment deductions only applied in terms of letting out the property. On the CGT calculator it asked 'How much have you spent on improvements since you became the property owner'.....

Here's the timeline:

March 1982 - 1992 3 Owners,...
                            07-12-2021, 18:01 PM
                            by reluctantlandlord1976
                            JP Keates et al - thank you very much for your assistance. I have this afternoon emailed an accountant to try and get an appointment urgently. I hadn't realised it was all so complicated and it was remiss of me to not be aware of the CGT changes made in 2020 due to not renting out the property. Thanks...
                            07-12-2021, 17:28 PM
                            by jpkeates
                            Refurbishment while you were living there is only allowable against CGT if it was solely and exclusively for the business, so if it was to prepare the property to be let, it would be OK.
                            If it was simply to improve what was then your home, it fails the basic test.

Get yourself to...
                            07-12-2021, 16:22 PM
                            by AndrewDod
                            The probate resets a lot of the stuff, but my main response was unapproved
                            07-12-2021, 15:36 PM
                            by AndrewDod
                            You are really short on detail:

Date (year & month) bought in joint names ______ (what % was yours then)
                            Date it converted to your sole name ______ (presumable date of death of parent 2?)
                            Declared vale at probate _________
                            Capital expenses between date of probate 2...
                            07-12-2021, 15:33 PM
                            by reluctantlandlord1976
                            We were all joint owners. Bought it with parents. I lived there for 10 years before buying own home. I became sole owner upon their deaths. Rented out since 2007-2019. Empty last two year as trying to sell. Hence I was off the landlord radar. I am now extremely worried by your statement that refurbishment...
                            07-12-2021, 14:53 PM
                            by AndrewDod
                            Let us know the exact timescale and money involved year by year - I am sure some kind person (or even myself) with do a calculation for you so that you can assess the risks involved
                            07-12-2021, 14:33 PM
                          Working...
                          X