Partnership owns BTL but one wishes to cash-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partnership owns BTL but one wishes to cash-out

hi, partner wants out of our btl would be happy for 5K and to let me carry on, we're in negative equity but accountant says he should sell for 45k or tax man will be after us for "fiddling" him out of his rightful dues, is she right or can we do as we have planned?
    thanks
    Steve

No-one's transferring anything unless the mortgagee consents.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

1. What does your lender say?

2. "partner" - what do you mean by partner.

3. What did it cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
        2. "partner" - what do you mean by partner.
        It's irrelevant whether the meaning is:
        a. a partner under the Partnership Act 1890, Limited Partnership Act 1907, or the LLP legislation;
        b. a 'civil partner'; or
        c. anything else.

The only salient facts are that:
        a. the property is in joint names; and
        b. one of the two wants to sell-up.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Rubbish, Jeffrey. If partner means "civil partner" - or indeed "husband" or "wife" - then the tax consequences are very different from if it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
            Rubbish, Jeffrey. If partner means "civil partner" - or indeed "husband" or "wife" - then the tax consequences are very different from if it doesn't.
            You misunderstand my last post. I was explaining the conveyancing factors. The two parties' inter-relationship has no bearing at all on whether/how the transaction would proceed. I did not in any way:
            a. reply, in that context, to OP's post #1 concerning the taxation position; nor
            b. comment upon items 1 and 3 in your post #3.

Comment

Jeffrey.

This is the taxation form.

OP asked a tax question.

I attempted to elicit three points of additional information in order to answer OP's tax question.

How do you think it helps to tell OP that one of the points of information I requested is irrelevant when in fact the entire tax answer hangs on his answer?

Comment

Coo, who rattled your cage today? You don't have a monopoly on furnishing information, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  Coo, who rattled your cage today? You don't have a monopoly on furnishing information, you know.
                  That is uncalled for, especially when Telometer was furnishing more relevant (as opposed to less relevant) information in repsonse to the question asked. (OP asked about the tax implications, not the conveyancing factors).
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Neither of us knows how much OP knows about the conveyancing aspects. If OP knew little or nothing, it would be hard to imagine the question even being asked!

Comment

Neither of us knows how much OP knows about the conveyancing aspects. If OP knew little or nothing, it would be hard to imagine the question even being asked!
                      It then follows (from your logic) that we must assume that OP knows as much as he wants to know at present about the conveyancing aspects, since he has indeed asked 'the question' (I am assuming you mean the question about tax).

However if in fact you meant the opposite of what you imply here then I would only say that on this forum at least, people tend to ask the questions to which they want the answers. The range of possibilities for irrelevant answers is almost infinite; there is therefore a convention, as in examinations, that the responder answers the question asked.
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Have you anything at all useful to add in advising OP? No, thought not.

Comment

partnership perspective

I got all giddy when I saw so many replies but it turns out to be handbags!! maybe I should have been more specific in this P C world the partner in question is a good mate, he just doesn't want the hassle of BTL, we had a bad tenant, anyway he wants out and as we can't sell at the mo he said he'd take 5k as his share I'm in it for the long haul (hopefully) and can probably just about scrape this together for him, the lender seems ok by this when I ran it passed them, it was just the accountant that brought up the question so please people no more squabbles until after you've helped me out!
                          ta very much
                          Steve

Comment

As Oscar wrote, a HANDBAG?

Comment

Have you anything at all useful to add in advising OP? No, thought not.
                              No more or less than you, it seems!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Corporation Tax
                                by Thurrock1
                                jpkeates,

the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
                                25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
                              • Corporation Tax
                                by Thurrock1
                                Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
                                My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
                                He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
                                23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
                                The...
                                24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
                                by theartfullodger
                                IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
                                24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
                                by Thurrock1
                                Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
                                24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
                                by Gordon999
                                The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
                                24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
                              • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
                                by Neelix
                                In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
                                18-11-2021, 07:54 AM
                              • Student HMO and Holiday let
                                by lewis593
                                Hello everyone. Can I rent my 4 bed property to students and holiday makers at the same time? For example 3 bedrooms will be used for students and 1 bedroom will be used as a holiday let. Would this have any tax/council tax implications? Would it be classed as a holiday let and be liable for business...
                                17-11-2021, 19:54 PM
                                by nukecad
                                Flag any of your posts (the little flag at the bottom of them) and ask the moderator if he can change the name for you....
                                17-11-2021, 23:00 PM
                                by lewis593
                                Can I rent my air b and b property to students?
                                17-11-2021, 20:34 PM
                              Working...
                              X