Rented out own home - CGT liability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rented out own home - CGT liability?

I am looking to sell my house which I moved out of 4 years ago and is now rented for the past 4 years (although empty for the past 6months),

What is my CGT liability? Is it 28% on the uplift in last 4 years? since i bought it? or a % of the time i rented against the length of time i have owned it? I moved in around 2000.

I have looked on HMRC and have not been able to find out what the situation is.

Is it leasehold? Is it mortgaged?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

You would be entitled to PPR and Letting Relief so I suspect there would be no CGT laiblity but without actual dates and values I can not tell you for sure. The value when you let it is not significant as such but the date of the first and last tenant occupation is. Regads Peter

Comment

Property is mortgaged.

Purchased in March 2000
        lived in till April 2007 then rented out same month til now.

Empty for past 6months.

Comment

and the value at acquisition and disposal are, ?? Regards Peter

Comment

Purchase Price was circa £600k

Todays Val circa £1m

Comment

Also if I move back in there while its empty as I want to sell now will this help?

Comment

No, as the last 3 years of OWNERSHIP are always treated as an exempt period ( if the property has been one's residence/main residence at some time) - irrespective of the property's use during these 3 years.

Comment

If you sold it next monthe there would be no CGT liability, however there is a maximum Letting Relief of £40,000 and your are already at £36,000.
                  If you continued to rent it out till August then sold it straight away then your CG Allowance would mop up the liability. If the tenant left next month and you sold it in Ausust you would have a CGT Bill of £1200 or so. Moving back in while you sell it would not have you a great deal. Also remember that the costs of acquistion and the sales and legal costs are deductible from the gross gain.
                  Here are the figures for the tenants leaving next month and you exchanging contracts in August 2011.
                  Purchase 600000 14/03/2000
                  Disposal 1,000,000 14/08/2011
                  Total Gain 400,000
                  PRR 350,365 120 137
                  Capital Gain 49,635
                  Lett Relief 40,000 Qual Days 487
                  Net Gain 9,635
                  CG Allow 10,100
                  CGT 18% 0
                  CGT 28% 0

CGT Bill 0

Regards Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Corporation Tax
                    by Thurrock1
                    jpkeates,

the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
                    25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
                    by jpkeates
                    If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
                    The...
                    24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
                  • Corporation Tax
                    by Thurrock1
                    Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
                    My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
                    He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
                    23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
                    by theartfullodger
                    IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
                    24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
                    by Thurrock1
                    Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
                    24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
                    by Gordon999
                    The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
                    24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
                  • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
                    by Neelix
                    In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
                    18-11-2021, 07:54 AM
                  • Student HMO and Holiday let
                    by lewis593
                    Hello everyone. Can I rent my 4 bed property to students and holiday makers at the same time? For example 3 bedrooms will be used for students and 1 bedroom will be used as a holiday let. Would this have any tax/council tax implications? Would it be classed as a holiday let and be liable for business...
                    17-11-2021, 19:54 PM
                    by nukecad
                    Flag any of your posts (the little flag at the bottom of them) and ask the moderator if he can change the name for you....
                    17-11-2021, 23:00 PM
                    by lewis593
                    Can I rent my air b and b property to students?
                    17-11-2021, 20:34 PM
                  Working...
                  X