council tax on empty property...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • council tax on empty property...

    am i right in saying that if a property is empty, then 50% council tax is levied?

    what if the property is empty and unfurnished - is council tax still payable?

    was there ever a period when the council tax was zero for an empty property? if so, what date did it rise to 50%?

    i'm asking as i had a property empty from 2005 until 2009 and they are requesting the full council tax on it for this period - had it empty as i couldnt afford to rennovate it - its rented out now tho

    thanks in advance for any assistance on the matter

  • #2
    Go to your local council office and get a copy of the the council tax rules on empty properties . My council will offer a reduction after their inspector has inspected the property to confirm all furniture completely removed but only for 6 months max.


    • #3
      An unfurnished house is exempt under a Class C exemption for 6 months after it first becomes empty. This does not start again if ownership changes.

      After the 6 months has expired, the charge will vary from council to council as since 2004 they have been able to set this standard empty charge at between 50% to 100% of the full charge. Have a look at your Council website, it will probably tell you this under their section on Council Tax.

      If you were the owner back in 2005 when it first became empty, then you should have got 6 months with no charge then be charged at the standard rate until it became unoccupied again (between 50% and 90%).

      Some councils will only grant a reduction if an inspection has taken place but this is not in legislation so if you are not getting charged at an empty rate and you can prove it was empty, then you should get the charged at the unoccupied rate.


      • #4
        council tax

        i have a property that i've been renovating for over 6 months. during that time, i had an exemption from council tax, but now it's expired and i'm paying.

        worse, the LA charge 100% for empty properties.

        afaik, i just have to lump it.


        • #5
          If the property was unfit for occupation, you don't have to pay. e.g. No kitchen or bathroom


          Latest Activity


          • Offset against tax
            I purchased a flat which needed a bit of work done on it, no doubt some would have rented as is. The kitchen had 3 different kitchen units in for some reason with all different doors, it was cheaper to install new kitchen than replacing doors, fitted a bath cause there was no bath before, just a homemade...
            11-06-2017, 07:32 AM
          • Reply to Offset against tax
            YOU didn't buy for cash (hopefully...) the corporate body did.

            Now, how did the company come by all that cash?

            Who's/what's bank account was used to pay?

            Investigation of both you (human) & company (not human) could be expensive, long drawn-out & painful....
            24-07-2017, 11:32 AM
          • Reply to Offset against tax
            I think I'd get a new accountant.

            Over the life of the business, you might end up paying less tax this way - if corporation tax reduces, the tax cost of any gain will be less than the tax cost of the expenses, but that's a remote future event against a tax payment this year.

            24-07-2017, 10:28 AM
          • Reply to Offset against tax
            In 2016-2017 i purchased 2 properties, both cash so no mortgage repayments etc. I have asked a few questions in relation to what is a maintenance/repair expense or capital and i thank you for the answers. I submitted my end of year accounts to my accountant, when i submitted them i stipulated that i...
            24-07-2017, 10:06 AM
          • tax rate question
            Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
            is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

            Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
            Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
            £40000-11,500 =...
            20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
          • Reply to tax rate question
            jpkeates not according to my accountancy textbook! (And I got 86% in the Personal Tax module so I'm pretty confident). I can dig it back out of the box tomorrow to double check though...

            [The reason I didn't take off the £11.1k capital allowance was pure laziness - although I did say...
            22-07-2017, 19:45 PM
          • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
            Hi All.
            Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
            We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
            The question I...
            20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
          • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
            One of my sources for the uncertainty as to whether money should be accounted as going through the agent's books is sections 1.2.2 and 1.2.4 of ICAEW TECH/03/11
            22-07-2017, 13:41 PM
          • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
            Whilst this is considered current best practice, and is in the RICS guidelines, the legislation that would have put it into effect was never "commenced", so it isn't a legal requirement. It is still true that it isn't the managing agent's money; it belongs to the service charge trust fund,...
            22-07-2017, 13:08 PM
          • Reply to tax rate question
   seems to confirm jpkeates worst fears.

            I would add that there are number of things, e.g. pension contributions not paid by the employer, and gift aid, that you can offset against the work salary. Additional income must be added, although, if that...
            22-07-2017, 12:42 PM