CGT on sale of rented house, formerly main residence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT on sale of rented house, formerly main residence

Just seeking some confirmation on some things I'm not certain about.

I bought my old house in 2001, rented it out since 2005, since my beloved didn't want to live in that part of town and we have bought our own place together elsewhere. We're hoping to have another baby in the next year or two, and will then have to think about selling up both and moving to a house. There is no mortgage outstanding on the rented property.

I gather that, seeing as it was my principal residence, the CGT will only be calculated from the gain in value since the time I left it (which I estimate at 200k) and not its value at the time of purchase. Is this correct? This is important, as its value increased quite significantly in those first years I lived there, but with the housing market fall, there's not such a massive gap in the time since I've rented it.

Also, and I'm less sure I've understood this correctly, am I right in thinking that there is 40k of relief on the CGT if it has, at some point, been my principal residence? Or is it more complicated than that?

1. "beloved" = wife or unmarried partner?
    2. Does she own a share in the old house? If so, since when? And did she ever live there (if so, when).
    3. Cost of old house when purchased, fees on purchase, cost of any capital improvements (extensions, new roof, new windows/kitchen/bathroom shortly after moving in or where there is considerable improvement.
    4. Value at time of moving out.
    5. Value now.
    6. Month of acquisition, moving out.
    7. Months in which the house has been let.

Comment

1. "beloved" = wife or unmarried partner?
      Husband now

2. Does she own a share in the old house? If so, since when? And did she ever live there (if so, when).
      His name is not on the deeds and he never lived there

3. Cost of old house when purchased, fees on purchase, cost of any capital improvements (extensions, new roof, new windows/kitchen/bathroom shortly after moving in or where there is considerable improvement.

Purchased for 133.5k fees, hmm, 2-3k?, new kitchen 3.5k, 500 extension roof replacement, £800 new boiler, £700 new built in cupboards. All other works were pretty cosmetic and minor
      4. Value at time of moving out.
      £200k

5. Value now.
      Hard to say – similar are being put on the market at an average of about £220k right now

6. Month of acquisition, moving out.
      Acquired November 2001 – Moved our 1 December, 2005

7. Months in which the house has been let.
      It has been let continuously since I left.

Comment

Apologies for your sex change!

Value now 220k. Cost, let's say 135k. Gain 85.

Assume sold last month, so 9 years after purchasing, of which you'd lived there 4 years.

Tax free period = 4 years lived there, plus last 3 years (kind gift from taxman) = 7/9. So 85k * 7/9 = 66k.

Plus up to a further 40k tax free "lettings relief" available, restricted to 2/9ths (the part that's not the 7/9ths above).

So no tax to pay.

By the way:

Originally posted by cloo View Post
        I gather that, seeing as it was my principal residence, the CGT will only be calculated from the gain in value since the time I left it (which I estimate at 200k) and not its value at the time of purchase. Is this correct?
        It's not generally viewed as being the normal way to calculate it, but in your case it doesn't matter.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I'd hoped... with the 40k, plus the market fall, I reckoned I'd have nothing or little to pay on it.

Comment

Bumping this up again, as this is looking closer to reality now and I wanted also to check whether not paying CGT was dependent on me being resident, or appearing to be resident, when the sale completes?

It just occurred to me that maybe all the advice I've been given, which suggests I'm not liable for CGT, might have been made on the assumption that I know to do something that I don't know about, if you see what I mean!

Comment

No - as it has already been your PPR, the last 3 years of OWNERSHIP are always treated as exempt.

Have you read HMRC's Help Sheet HS283 on the subject?

Comment

No, but thanks, will look that up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by AndrewDod
                  Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
                  25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
                • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by shipboard
                  I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
                  24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
                  by Another Fine Mess
                  If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
                  24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                  by gnvqsos
                  I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
                  24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
                • Reply to CGT query
                  by Gordon999
                  Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
                  24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
                  by Gordon999
                  I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
                  24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
                  It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
                  24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
                • Reply to CGT query
                  by jpkeates
                  What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
                  24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
                • CGT query
                  by vik238754
                  Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                  23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
                • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                  by mpppen
                  Hello,
                  We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                  03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
                Working...
                X