CGT on sale of rented house, formerly main residence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT on sale of rented house, formerly main residence

Just seeking some confirmation on some things I'm not certain about.

I bought my old house in 2001, rented it out since 2005, since my beloved didn't want to live in that part of town and we have bought our own place together elsewhere. We're hoping to have another baby in the next year or two, and will then have to think about selling up both and moving to a house. There is no mortgage outstanding on the rented property.

I gather that, seeing as it was my principal residence, the CGT will only be calculated from the gain in value since the time I left it (which I estimate at 200k) and not its value at the time of purchase. Is this correct? This is important, as its value increased quite significantly in those first years I lived there, but with the housing market fall, there's not such a massive gap in the time since I've rented it.

Also, and I'm less sure I've understood this correctly, am I right in thinking that there is 40k of relief on the CGT if it has, at some point, been my principal residence? Or is it more complicated than that?

1. "beloved" = wife or unmarried partner?
    2. Does she own a share in the old house? If so, since when? And did she ever live there (if so, when).
    3. Cost of old house when purchased, fees on purchase, cost of any capital improvements (extensions, new roof, new windows/kitchen/bathroom shortly after moving in or where there is considerable improvement.
    4. Value at time of moving out.
    5. Value now.
    6. Month of acquisition, moving out.
    7. Months in which the house has been let.

Comment

1. "beloved" = wife or unmarried partner?
      Husband now

2. Does she own a share in the old house? If so, since when? And did she ever live there (if so, when).
      His name is not on the deeds and he never lived there

3. Cost of old house when purchased, fees on purchase, cost of any capital improvements (extensions, new roof, new windows/kitchen/bathroom shortly after moving in or where there is considerable improvement.

Purchased for 133.5k fees, hmm, 2-3k?, new kitchen 3.5k, 500 extension roof replacement, £800 new boiler, £700 new built in cupboards. All other works were pretty cosmetic and minor
      4. Value at time of moving out.
      £200k

5. Value now.
      Hard to say – similar are being put on the market at an average of about £220k right now

6. Month of acquisition, moving out.
      Acquired November 2001 – Moved our 1 December, 2005

7. Months in which the house has been let.
      It has been let continuously since I left.

Comment

Apologies for your sex change!

Value now 220k. Cost, let's say 135k. Gain 85.

Assume sold last month, so 9 years after purchasing, of which you'd lived there 4 years.

Tax free period = 4 years lived there, plus last 3 years (kind gift from taxman) = 7/9. So 85k * 7/9 = 66k.

Plus up to a further 40k tax free "lettings relief" available, restricted to 2/9ths (the part that's not the 7/9ths above).

So no tax to pay.

By the way:

Originally posted by cloo View Post
        I gather that, seeing as it was my principal residence, the CGT will only be calculated from the gain in value since the time I left it (which I estimate at 200k) and not its value at the time of purchase. Is this correct?
        It's not generally viewed as being the normal way to calculate it, but in your case it doesn't matter.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I'd hoped... with the 40k, plus the market fall, I reckoned I'd have nothing or little to pay on it.

Comment

Bumping this up again, as this is looking closer to reality now and I wanted also to check whether not paying CGT was dependent on me being resident, or appearing to be resident, when the sale completes?

It just occurred to me that maybe all the advice I've been given, which suggests I'm not liable for CGT, might have been made on the assumption that I know to do something that I don't know about, if you see what I mean!

Comment

No - as it has already been your PPR, the last 3 years of OWNERSHIP are always treated as exempt.

Have you read HMRC's Help Sheet HS283 on the subject?

Comment

No, but thanks, will look that up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                  by AndrewDod
                  I think the point that is being missed here is that inflation *is itself* a type of tax.

It is a tax on savings (on people who try to save so they they or their disabled child can cope without having to lean on the state instead of smoking it away).

Put simply, government...
                  17-08-2022, 20:20 PM
                • Capital Gains Tax
                  by LVA
                  Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

My accountant tells me the CGT...
                  16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
                  by gnvqsos
                  I believe CGT did adjust gains in line with the RPI and also had taper relief. This was rejected in the late 90s by GB.
                  17-08-2022, 18:33 PM
                • Overseas
                  by jase222
                  Hi,
                  I will be moving to Spain for between 6-9months and I will obviously be paying my taxes and I spoke to a Spainish tax accountant who said the authorities won’t be interested in anybody who stays for less than a year as long as you can prove you pay tax in your own country? I’ve never heard...
                  17-08-2022, 08:05 AM
                • Reply to Overseas
                  by jase222
                  I sorted that out but but was surprised by his comments, I know all about Spainish residency as been there before , I am waiting for confirmation.
                  17-08-2022, 16:41 PM
                • Reply to Overseas
                  by Gordon999
                  If you stay in Spain for 183 days or longer , you will become tax resident for Spanish Taxes. You can find this information by online search.

You may need to obtain a certificate of tax residency from HMRC or from Spain, to avoid paying taxes twice.
                  17-08-2022, 09:44 AM
                  by doobrey
                  Agree. CGT is supposed to be a tax on 'gains'. Like real ones. There is no 100% right/fair way of doing it but adjusting to an index wouldn't be difficult, and it would be lot better than doing nothing, as now. With the current system you can sell at a loss in real terms and still be taxed on your imaginary...
                  17-08-2022, 08:19 AM
                  by Flashback1966
                  It is upsetting to pay tax on inflation.

That is the problem with property. With stocks and shares you can sell a bit every year to make use of the CGT allowance.

This is why there is a deterent to selling up....
                  16-08-2022, 17:58 PM
                  by gnvqsos
                  If you a GOOD accountant they will advise on such matters-far more qualified than most forum members. If you pay £50k tax at 18pc you are taxed on £280k.Add allowance of £13k.You have made £295k gross,£245 net, and you want more? Pay your dues and count your stars(and cash)
                  16-08-2022, 17:34 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  I wouldn't rule it out, but I think the case for anyone starting out to do it as a company is pretty overwhelming now, and that would make it more compelling....
                  16-08-2022, 16:34 PM
                Working...
                X