Tax-deductible cover for emergencies/gas/electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax-deductible cover for emergencies/gas/electric?

I am very new to all this and have been looking at getting emergency cover for my property including repairs. Is is possible to offset this against tax or can I only claim back the excess if I use the insurance ?

Yes, you can offset insurance against tax. I'm not sure I get the next bit but if you have to pay an excess yes, you can claim that but not the cost of the repair as the insurers are paying that (supposedly).

Personally I would not do the insurance but look out for a good gas safe/plumber and an electrician and make sure your property is in good nick. Insurance will only cover accidental stuff and not a poorly maintained property. You could spend ages arguing with inurers over repairs if you don't make things sound to start with.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by ppitch999 View Post
      I am very new to all this and have been looking at getting emergency cover for my property including repairs. Is is possible to offset this against tax or can I only claim back the excess if I use the insurance ?
      Well, both can be offset against tax - they are business expenses, simple as that...
      Scenario 1: You don't pay insurance and after a flood, you get stuck with a £500 repair bill: the £500 bill is tax-deductable.
      Scenario 2: During your financial year you make 12 monthly payments of £20 insurance premiums; you claim on the policy to sort out the flood but have to pay a £100 excess: the total £340 paid is tax-deductable.

Comment

Thanks for the advise I will look around and see if it's worth getting any insurance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Interest expense on tax return - how to obtain?
          by JamesHopeful
          Thank you for clarifying -- my wording was perhaps a bit unclear. When I said "everyone (whether their marginal tax rate is at basic, higher or additional rate) continues to report mortgage interest in the same way", I meant that there haven't been separate reporting systems introduced depending...
          03-06-2020, 11:13 AM
        • Interest expense on tax return - how to obtain?
          by leasee123
          I will be filling out a 2019/20 SA tax return (my first time!) and will need to declare the income from my buy to let property. The property is on a residential mortgage as it was my home but since last year I have let it out with my lender's permission. I was and continue to be a basic rate tax payer...
          02-06-2020, 15:01 PM
          by leasee123
          Thanks so much jpkeates for clearing that up. Just so I completely understand - say I left the property instead one day prior to the start of the let - i.e. 31st May, would I report the interest paid on the mortgage on 15th May or does it instead start from 15th June? I am pretty sure it is the former...
          03-06-2020, 11:12 AM
          by jpkeates
          If you're reporting on the cash basis, you record the costs as having been incurred when they happen.
          So no accrual is needed.

The exception to the costs being recorded as incurred is interest between when you moved out and when the first tenancy began.
          As you're working on...
          03-06-2020, 10:58 AM
          by leasee123
          Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I am still confused however as to what interest to report in the tax return. The property was let for the first time last year say 1st June after having lived there myself for a number of years until end of April last year. My mortgage is paid monthly...
          03-06-2020, 10:54 AM
          by jpkeates
          Just for the avoidance of doubt, the way the interest is reported does actually change.

Allowable interest (while in the transition period) is recorded as such (in Box 26) and the restricted element goes in a separate entry (Residential finance costs not included in box 26).
          The allowable...
          03-06-2020, 10:52 AM
          by JamesHopeful
          To be clear, everyone (whether their marginal tax rate is at basic, higher or additional rate) continues to report mortgage interest in the same way, and it is treated in the same way for tax purposes. It is just that new way in which it is treated (as a tax reducer of 20% of the interest rather than...
          03-06-2020, 10:23 AM
          by jpkeates
          You can't use the calculation for an interest only mortgage on a repayment mortgage, it doesn't work the same way.

You claim the interest from the period prior to the first let as though it occurred on the first day of the first tenancy (which is when your business began).
          Same as...
          03-06-2020, 08:09 AM
          by doobrey
          Except that the capital sum owing reduces with each payment....
          03-06-2020, 07:30 AM
          by Gordon999
          You should report the same interest figure as the mortgage lender may be reporting to hmrc.

On the blank page in your tax return you can make a declaration the mortgage interest was ££££ for 2019-2010 plus xxxx for 2018-2019....
          03-06-2020, 07:23 AM
        Working...
        X