large tax bill for 2009.......

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    large tax bill for 2009.......

    Hello Tax Guru's.

    I have been renting out a house for 3 years now and I was after some advice.
    I remortgaged the year before last to a interest only mortgage to reduce my tax liability. My situtation is as follows -

    I got £16200 in rent last year, of this £7644 was allowable interest on the morgage. I spent £902 in allowable repairs/replacements making my profit for the year £7654. I am a higher rate tax payer and after taking into account my personal allowance I have worked out I have a tax bill of IRO £2600. Last year this was less as I had large remortgage costs to offset.

    My question is this - does this sound about right and what could I do in the future to lessen my tax burden? - should I for example put the property in my wifes name also?

    thanks for any advice


    Your personal allowance will have been used up in your PAYE employment. If you are a higher rate tax payer then on that profit you will owe £3061. If your wife is a lower rate tax payer then a transfer of the appropriate share of the property via inter spousal transfer whould shift the income and reduce overall tax. This has to be done properly and reported to HMRC via Form17. Regards Peter


      Just to add:

      It sounds as though you expensed the whole of the mortgage arrangement fee in the prior year.

      Unfortunately, you should be spreading this cost over the life of the loan.

      i.e. 20 year loan, £2,000 arrangement fee, you should claim £100 in each year of rental - not all £2,000 up front.
      I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

      That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!


        Hurrah! Somebody who understands how to treat loan arrangement fees. You wouldn't believe the number of people who claim to be experts who post here on this point from time to time and don't understand IAS39 & friends.


          thanks all. Looks like I should talk to an accountant. The wife is a higher rate tax payer also.


          Latest Activity


          • CGT and income
            by slopemaster
            Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
            06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
          • Reply to CGT and income
            by Gordon999
            The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

            07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
          • Reply to CGT and income
            by slopemaster
            Thank you all
            06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
          • Reply to CGT and income
            by Lesney Park

            You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
            06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
          • Reply to CGT and income
            by jpkeates
            You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
            When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
            06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
          • Reply to CGT and income
            by theartfullodger
            60 days not 2 months.
            06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
          • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
            by DoricPixie
            How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
            04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
          • SDLT and first time buyers
            by mpppen
            Hello again.

            Just wondering if someone can advise.

            If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

            If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
            03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
          • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
            by jpkeates
            If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
            It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

            There's obviously...
            04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
          • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
            by AndrewDod
            Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
            04-07-2022, 14:45 PM