Property sale loss versus rental income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been in the letting business for about ten years and currently have three tenanted properties. Last year I bought a property which required some renovation work, which I completed before advertising to rent.
    As it turned out, I was unable to obtain an economic rent so, after a couple of months, I offered the property for sale or rent and accepted an offer to purchase.
    After taking agents fees, maintenance and renovation costs into account, I made a small overall loss.
    I'd appreciate advice on whether, bearing in mind that this property, though advertised for rent, was never rented, there is any way that the loss can be set against profits from my letting business?

Surely a question for your accountant to answer

Comment

Mr Landlord,
      Most of the taxation questions on this forum are questions which could be answered by an Accountant. However many of us with relatively small letting businesses, do not have an Accountant. This forum is extremely useful in answering specific questions and usually the answers (which may be criticised and discussed) will be useful for a large number of people.
      John

Comment

''Most of the taxation questions on this forum are questions which could be answered by an Accountant.''

I wonder how many accountants would be as much detailed, prompt and benevolent. I also wonder how many of the queries would even be raised if each reply attracted a fee.

As to the question, I would say that all the costs would be allowable, some as expenses of your lettings business and some against Capital Gains Tax as improvements and incidental costs of selling.

Difficult to be precise without full facts.

Ramnik
        Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Property sale versus rental income

Ramnik,
          Thank you for your reply to my question.
          My costs were:
          Selling Agents and Surveyors £1500; Painting and decorating £800; Insurance £200; tiling kitchen and bathroom £800; replacement door and window £500; electrical checks and repairs £250; gas check £50; garden work £300
          Total costs £4400.
          The selling price was slightly higher than the buying price, but I lost £1800 overall. I imagine that I could record this as a capital loss but I'd prefer if possible to set some of the costs against rental income from my other property.
          On the general point about questions for Accountants or this forum, I was responding to Mr Landlords comment. I think if you employ an Accountant you'd probably for the most part, just give them the facts and trust him/her, rather than raising costs by asking questions.
          On the other hand, if you do your own accountancy for a small letting business you will meet specific problems from time to time. Also, you are all the time trying to increase your knowledge of taxation and other issues. This forum is invaluable for this purpose. I think the quality of information we have here, is very high and for this I would like to thank you Ramnik in particular and also other contributors for your time and expertise.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by johnjw
            Ramnik,
            Thank you for your reply to my question.

My costs were:
            Selling Agents and Surveyors £1500; Painting and decorating £800; Insurance £200; tiling kitchen and bathroom £800; replacement door and window £500; electrical checks and repairs £250; gas check £50; garden work £300
            Total costs £4400.

The selling price was slightly higher than the buying price, but I lost £1800 overall. I imagine that I could record this as a capital loss but I'd prefer if possible to set some of the costs against rental income from my other property.

£1,500 for selling agents and surveyors is definitely for CGT as these refer to buying and/or selling the property.

Rest may go towards lettings business but you should be prepared to justify your inclusion of these costs if challenged.

On the general point about questions for Accountants or this forum, I was responding to Mr Landlords comment. I think if you employ an Accountant you'd probably for the most part, just give them the facts and trust him/her, rather than raising costs by asking questions.

On the other hand, if you do your own accountancy for a small letting business you will meet specific problems from time to time. Also, you are all the time trying to increase your knowledge of taxation and other issues. This forum is invaluable for this purpose. I think the quality of information we have here, is very high and for this I would like to thank you Ramnik in particular and also other contributors for your time and expertise.

You should not be put off from airing your queries in this forum even if you engage the services of an accountant.

It is clear from your past postings that you do have a good grasp of the issues as you mainly post queries which may appear straight forward to some but actually involves technical consideration. The current query is a good example as the answer is not all that straight forward or clearcut. I also know of your past postings regarding eligible interest and VAT claims.

Thank you for your compliments.

John
            Hi John,

See comments above in Red.

Ramnik
            Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by DoricPixie
              Your tax situation in Australian depends on whether you’re a permanent resident/citizen or a temporary resident. If you’re a temporary resident you find yourself in tax sweet spot where HMRC doesn’t care about your Australian income and assets and the ATO doesn’t care about your UK income and...
              24-06-2022, 14:29 PM
            • New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by mucker973
              Hi All,
              I have a property I used to manage myself. The tenant paid me directly and I never declared it with the taxman. Going forward I have decided to use a letting agent to manage all of this. I currently reside abroad and when filling in the forms there is question which essentially is asking...
              24-06-2022, 07:39 AM
              by Gordon999
              If you are living overseas, you must register as a non-resident landlord using NRL1 form to Tax Office if you receive rental income from a UK property. If you don't register , the letting agent is required to deduct 25% tax on any rental money paid to you.

After being registered...
              24-06-2022, 09:31 AM
              by jpkeates
              https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-a-disclosure

There's a "not quite an amnesty" operating at the moment.
              24-06-2022, 09:02 AM
              by mucker973
              Thanks JPkeates, I knew you'd know!

I've been thinking of reporting it for a while. If I declare these past "earnings" do you think I'll just have to pay the tax (if there is any) or do you think there will be any penalties? Penalties are usually applied when you are caught out...
              24-06-2022, 08:47 AM
              by jpkeates
              I don't know what the situation is with Australian tax on UK rented property, and you'd probably better enquire locally.

There are two different things to address.
              If you've been receiving income and not declaring it, you need to own up and pay what you owe - which sounds like nothing...
              24-06-2022, 08:32 AM
              by Covent Garden Girl
              Your questions are more complicated than you imagine.

1) Yes, firstly as a non resident landlord, the agent or indeed tenants have to deduct tax at source, or you have to send off a form, but also wait for HMRC to send confirmation that they think it is okay for you not to have the tax...
              24-06-2022, 08:17 AM
            • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
              by jpkeates
              Even if you don’t need a licence, managing an HMO can be quite onerous. You’ll need a fire risk assessment, and then to comply with its requirements as a first step.

That usually means fire retardant doors, different door locks, hard wired fire and smoke and heat alarms for a start....
              24-06-2022, 07:08 AM
            • Are utility bills tax-deductible?
              by Bigpat
              I've had a buy-to-let on a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a few years and my tax return has been pretty simple. But since last year I have also had two lodgers, staying with me at my own residential property. Now I have purchased a small additional property, which I have moved into myself and...
              21-06-2022, 14:26 PM
            • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
              by Bigpat
              Thanks. Yes I checked the local authority who said that only "large" HMOs have to be licensed, and that counts as 5 or more tenants.

I had no idea that separate TV licences would be required. How do HMO landlords usually handle this?
              (a) should I purchase three additional...
              23-06-2022, 21:38 PM
            Working...
            X