Capital Gains Tax following enfranchisement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
    I am no property lawyer; is the beneficial ownership so constructed so that the freehold is somehow split up, so that each leaseholder owns - beneficially - the bit of the freehold that relates to the bit of the individual flat? Because if not, then each leaseholder is transacting with each leaseholder in his role as freeholder, surely?
    No; the entire f/r's beneficial ownership (equitable interest) cannot be fractured on a property-by-property basis.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I thought not. And does Newco generally own f/r as nominee, or beneficially?

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
        And does Newco generally own f/r as nominee, or beneficially?
        Beneficially. It owns an asset at law and in equity; its members (= shareholders or guarantors) in turn own the Co.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Do I need to submit form17A at all?
          by londonrulz
          Thanks all, I did send form 17A with dot. Do they send any acknowledgement letter to confirm?
          20-04-2021, 16:33 PM
        • Do I need to submit form17A at all?
          by londonrulz
          I recently remortgaged a property for BTL and registered as 99:1 % on title(tenants in common) with Land registry. My wife is a low band tax payer. and hence the 99% rent goes to her.

My question is

- Do i still need to inform HMRC by filling in a form17A highlighting the unequal...
          11-03-2021, 17:25 PM
        • MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
          by landlord-man
          Now that we know every LL will be captured by the new MTD Reporting Rules from April 2023 (at the latest) - do you think LLs with just one property will abandon the PRS in large numbers?

I'm unsure whether Letting Agents will be competent enough to take on this responsibility - and I cannot...
          17-04-2021, 09:17 AM
        • Reply to MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
          by jpkeates
          40 - 50% of landlords don't declare their income at all - according to HMRC.
          So this initiative isn't going to have that much effect on a lot of accidental landlords.
          20-04-2021, 13:58 PM
          by jase222
          What he will be doing is selling a couple and increasing rent on others to pay the increased cost of his accountant, and I suspect many will be doing the same, ultimately the tenant will lose....
          20-04-2021, 09:16 AM
          by Neelix
          Looks like you will be doing it for them then.

MTD is a step forward imho, if not a bit of hassle to adapt to...
          20-04-2021, 09:01 AM
          by jase222
          I agree it's in the name but many people particularly those who are old school like my parents, why should they change? My dad's been doing it by pen and paper for 40years,...
          20-04-2021, 08:52 AM
        • Move to LTD Company and
          by Hama
          Hi All,

My first post and after some advice please.

Currently have 1 buy to let property that I am planning on transferring to a new LTD Company due to higher tax rates, we will be investing further into property in the future too.

I understand that transferring...
          19-04-2021, 20:36 PM
        • Reply to Move to LTD Company and
          by jpkeates
          Re transferring to your husband, you'd have to balance the current SDLT situation against the double CGT benefit.

PRR is usually simple, because HMRC know when your rental business began because you told them about your new business and started paying them tax on it.
          20-04-2021, 07:28 AM
        • Gift Property to avoid Stamp Surchage
          by wangw
          Hi guys,

1st post here thought I try my luck here.

I have a fairy basic question which I thought many would have come across. I currently own 100% of my main residence (call property 1), and I live with my unmarried partner who has no property under her name. I am at 45% tax...
          19-04-2021, 15:44 PM
        Working...
        X