CGT- Sorry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT- Sorry!

Can someone tell me if I have stuffed-up. I am a UK citizen born and bred, I became non-resident on 10/06/05, when I moved to Australia.

I had two options:

OPTION 1: Rent out my only and main residence (owned for eight years). QUESTION If at some point I then sold this house (my only and main residence) at some point in the future would I have had to pay Capital Gains. If so? is it down to the fact that I had let my home and if I hadn't had let it, then I would not have had to pay CGT?

OPTION 2: This is the option I took, I sold my house and bought another in a more rentable area but the sale completed three weeks after I left for Australia. I never lived in the property, the house was let immediately QUESTION: Presumably I will have to pay CGT on this property when I eventually sell? If so how much? Is there anyway I can minmise or avoid CGT in this instance?

Originally posted by kensden
    Can someone tell me if I have stuffed-up. I am a UK citizen born and bred, I became non-resident on 10/06/05, when I moved to Australia.

I had two options:

OPTION 1: Rent out my only and main residence (owned for eight years). QUESTION If at some point I then sold this house (my only and main residence) at some point in the future would I have had to pay Capital Gains. If so? is it down to the fact that I had let my home and if I hadn't had let it, then I would not have had to pay CGT?

OPTION 2: This is the option I took, I sold my house and bought another in a more rentable area but the sale completed three weeks after I left for Australia. I never lived in the property, the house was let immediately QUESTION: Presumably I will have to pay CGT on this property when I eventually sell? If so how much? Is there anyway I can minmise or avoid CGT in this instance?
    Final 3 years of ownership is always regarded for CGT purposes as occupied by yourself, even if let, provided it was your only or main residence at anytime in your ownership. Even if sold more than three years after vacating it, there are other reliefs which could cover all or part of the gain relating to the excess period.

However, you sold it after you moved to Australia. Although there is no CGT liability in the UK, you should check the tax position regarding Australia as you would already have been a resident of that country.

In this context, you should rememebr that the relevant date of disposal is the date of exchange of unconditional contracts and not the date of completion.

Your new property in the UK has never been your only or main residence. As such you will be charged to UK CGT upon its eventual disposal. However, if you remain non-resident for 5 complete UK tax years and dispose of the property before you return to the UK to resume your residency, you will not be charged CGT. Again. you need to check the Australian tax position if you sell the property whilst in Australia.

You should remember that you are still responsible for accounting for income tax on rental profits by completing UK tax returns. Otherwise, the letting agent is required to deduct tax at source from the rents collected.

Ramnik
    Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Thanks for your help, it only confirms that I stuffed up, I should have kept my original house even if it was located in an area less likely to achieve a decent rent!

Comment

Thanks for your help, it only confirms that I stuffed up, I should have kept my original house even if it was located in an area less likely to achieve a decent rent!
        There is no point in brooding over what happened.

You say that you have became non-resident on 10/06/05 when you moved to Australia. Are you likely to return before 5 April 2011?

And are you likely to sell the new property before or after you return to the UK?

Ramnik

Comment

You've hit it on the head these are my two choices. Either sell it soon and buy here in Oz or wait until the five tears are up. I'd just be ticked off if i had to sell in four years or so, Edinburgh is still gowing well, the thought of sharing my profit with HMRC does nothing for me

Comment

You've hit it on the head these are my two choices. Either sell it soon and buy here in Oz or wait until the five tears are up. I'd just be ticked off if i had to sell in four years or so, Edinburgh is still gowing well, the thought of sharing my profit with HMRC does nothing for me
            If the house is letting well and paying for itself, may be there is no point in selling.

Do you need to sell here to be able to buy over there?

Is not selling here stopping you buying over there?

Even if you sell over here, perhaps there isn't much gain in the short period you have owned the property. If so, may be there isn't much of a CGT issue in selling.

Ramnik

Comment

I think you are on the money on all points, Sydney prpoerty prices are flat (have been dclining after a massive boom), Edinburgh is growing, so even though I have to share my profit with HMRC, I'm still ahead of the game.
              Cheers

Comment

I think you are on the money on all points, Sydney prpoerty prices are flat (have been dclining after a massive boom), Edinburgh is growing, so even though I have to share my profit with HMRC, I'm still ahead of the game.
                Cheers
                You are welcome.

Ramnik

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
                  by DoricPixie
                  Your tax situation in Australian depends on whether you’re a permanent resident/citizen or a temporary resident. If you’re a temporary resident you find yourself in tax sweet spot where HMRC doesn’t care about your Australian income and assets and the ATO doesn’t care about your UK income and...
                  24-06-2022, 14:29 PM
                • New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
                  by mucker973
                  Hi All,
                  I have a property I used to manage myself. The tenant paid me directly and I never declared it with the taxman. Going forward I have decided to use a letting agent to manage all of this. I currently reside abroad and when filling in the forms there is question which essentially is asking...
                  24-06-2022, 07:39 AM
                  by Gordon999
                  If you are living overseas, you must register as a non-resident landlord using NRL1 form to Tax Office if you receive rental income from a UK property. If you don't register , the letting agent is required to deduct 25% tax on any rental money paid to you.

After being registered...
                  24-06-2022, 09:31 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-a-disclosure

There's a "not quite an amnesty" operating at the moment.
                  24-06-2022, 09:02 AM
                  by mucker973
                  Thanks JPkeates, I knew you'd know!

I've been thinking of reporting it for a while. If I declare these past "earnings" do you think I'll just have to pay the tax (if there is any) or do you think there will be any penalties? Penalties are usually applied when you are caught out...
                  24-06-2022, 08:47 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  I don't know what the situation is with Australian tax on UK rented property, and you'd probably better enquire locally.

There are two different things to address.
                  If you've been receiving income and not declaring it, you need to own up and pay what you owe - which sounds like nothing...
                  24-06-2022, 08:32 AM
                  by Covent Garden Girl
                  Your questions are more complicated than you imagine.

1) Yes, firstly as a non resident landlord, the agent or indeed tenants have to deduct tax at source, or you have to send off a form, but also wait for HMRC to send confirmation that they think it is okay for you not to have the tax...
                  24-06-2022, 08:17 AM
                • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
                  by jpkeates
                  Even if you don’t need a licence, managing an HMO can be quite onerous. You’ll need a fire risk assessment, and then to comply with its requirements as a first step.

That usually means fire retardant doors, different door locks, hard wired fire and smoke and heat alarms for a start....
                  24-06-2022, 07:08 AM
                • Are utility bills tax-deductible?
                  by Bigpat
                  I've had a buy-to-let on a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a few years and my tax return has been pretty simple. But since last year I have also had two lodgers, staying with me at my own residential property. Now I have purchased a small additional property, which I have moved into myself and...
                  21-06-2022, 14:26 PM
                • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
                  by Bigpat
                  Thanks. Yes I checked the local authority who said that only "large" HMOs have to be licensed, and that counts as 5 or more tenants.

I had no idea that separate TV licences would be required. How do HMO landlords usually handle this?
                  (a) should I purchase three additional...
                  23-06-2022, 21:38 PM
                Working...
                X