Tax Return - repair expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Return - repair expenses

Hi folks, I'm looking for a bit of guidance please.

I have an unfurnished rental property. Tenant moved out in Jan 09, but the place was a bit of a mess and needed some work.

I undertook a fair bit of repair work, some I did myself, some I used tradesmen for. For example:

electrical repairs
    replastering
    replaced a damaged kitchen unit, worktop and some bits of skirting/dado
    painting & decorating
    added additional radiators to central heating
    new carpets
    new fridge/freezer/washing machine

The whole lot came to about £4000. It's been rented out unfurnished again since July 09.

I'm not sure what I can claim as repairs.

I expect the additional radiators will be an improvement, so can't be claimed, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Can I claim the repair work as repairs?
    Can I claim for the new appliances and carpets?
    Can I claim anything for my own time and fuel costs?

Thanks for reading.

My judgement on this would be that the first four items in your list, starting with electrical repairs, are indeed repairs which you can claim for.
    The fifth items (extra radiators) are as you say, an improvement, so you shouldn't enter it as expenditure.
    The last two (carpets and appliances) also can't be claimed for directly but they will presumably help you to obtain a better rent and if the property is offered as furnished, you will be able to claim the 10% (of rent) allowance each year.
    You can't claim for your own time (there wouldn't be any point anyway because you'd have to declare the income and pay tax on it) but you should be OK claiming something for fuel.

Comment

1. Do you have a letting agent?

2. When did you acquire the property?

3. Is the repair work all a result of repairing damage done by your latest T?

Comment

I didn't have a letting agent at the time, but I do now.
        I acquired the property in June 07.
        Some of the work was repairing damage (tenant disappeared with no forwarding address), some of it was long term wear and tear.

I spoke to one of the techs at HMRC today and they've advised most can be claimed as repair, including replacing carpets as long as it was like for like.
        I should claim 40p/mile for car expenses, but can't claim for my own time.

I didn't ask about appliances and extra radiators as I assumed they couldn't be claimed - probably should have asked to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by johnjw View Post
          The last two (carpets and appliances) also can't be claimed for directly but they will presumably help you to obtain a better rent and if the property is offered as furnished, you will be able to claim the 10% (of rent) allowance each year.
          But it's not furnished, therefore he can't claim the 10%. However he should be able to claim for the cost of the carpet, providing it's just replacing a knackered one rather than upgrading the property

Comment

Replacement appliances are tax deductible provided they are no higher spec than the old ones.

Your mileage is deductible for travel from the place of business to the property. If you have a letting agent then his offices are the place of business; if you do not, then it is probably your home. Hence 40p per mile.

So, apart form the additional radiators, it should all be tax deductible.

Comment

Can someone validate Telometer's point that if mileage is allowable, the relevant distance is from the agent's address to the tenants’ address.

If so I might look for an agent in Australia

Comment

Sorry, I was ambiguous. The MAXIMUM claim you can make is from the place of business to the property. Therefore if your agent is in Australia and you travel from London to Exeter, only London to Exeter is deductible.

Comment

Replacement appliances are tax deductible provided they are no higher spec than the old ones.

Are they deductable as 'repair' or do I need to include them some other way?

Thanks for the replies folks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
                    by Phyllis
                    Thank you both. Estate agent said little call for large rental property here and better return on two three bedroom properties. As far as refurbishment costs, I can figure out the cost of doing two separate properties over doing one and feel I can manage those. I don’t see need to separate the titles...
                    21-11-2019, 03:53 AM
                  • Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
                    by Phyllis
                    I have inherited a property from my father. It needs TOTAL refurbishment and Is suited to conversion into two self contained, three bedroom flats. My plan is to rent the flats out once refurbished. I realise there are many things to consider and am finding it overwhelming at the moment. I initially...
                    19-11-2019, 21:53 PM
                  • Reply to IHT on property question
                    by leaseholder64
                    Not paying rent reinforces the reservation of benefits position.

Whilst I believe it would be subject to the 40% marginal rate on that part of the £450k that took the estate over the allowance, my knowledge only really extends to knowing there is an issue in principle, and there may be...
                    20-11-2019, 23:35 PM
                  • IHT on property question
                    by Bill31
                    I have been living in my parents home for last 10 years and it is my primary residence. i dont currently own anything else.
                    My dad passed away 3 years back and my mum removed his named from the deeds of property and added me as joint ownership with her 50/50 on land registry

we live...
                    20-11-2019, 13:46 PM
                    by Bill31
                    Ok my mum does not pay rent to me if that matters.
                    She originally bought the house for 80k with my dad back in the 90s. He passed away in 2012.

The house was put as joint tenancy between me and my mum in 2016. Valuation then was around 400 to 450k.
                    Now in 2019 house is worth...
                    20-11-2019, 23:19 PM
                    by leaseholder64
                    If it is a gift with reservation of benefits, her estate has to pay inheritance tax, as though the full market value, at the time it was gifted, were part of her estate (or you will have to pay the IHT if there is not enough money to cover it). Of course, it is possible that the estate is still within...
                    20-11-2019, 23:02 PM
                    by Bill31
                    Bit confused now. So maybe it wasnt a good idea to put the house in joint names with mother.
                    If we sell the house to buy another house is the cgt implications for me?
                    ​​​​​Or say if she passes will i have to pay cgt if i sell the house and move elsewhere?...
                    20-11-2019, 22:55 PM
                    by leaseholder64
                    Most of the material on this is US-centric, but I think the transfer was a gift with reservation of benefits, so fully within IHT. It's too obvious a loophole, otherwise.

Also there is a risk that, if you get into financial difficulties, your mother will end up homeless.

This...
                    20-11-2019, 21:23 PM
                    by Bill31
                    thanks jpkeates for the replies.

i have a question. By adding my name to my mums main house where we live as joint tenants. what affect has this created on IHT ??(some people said to me i should not have added my name to the property)

say my mum passes away in 6 years or...
                    20-11-2019, 20:14 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    There's no CGT on the property that is your main home.
                    You both own the property and both live there, so it's not within the CGT regime - unless one of you moves out and it ceases to be your home before you sell it....
                    20-11-2019, 18:39 PM
                  Working...
                  X