Tax Return - repair expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Return - repair expenses

Hi folks, I'm looking for a bit of guidance please.

I have an unfurnished rental property. Tenant moved out in Jan 09, but the place was a bit of a mess and needed some work.

I undertook a fair bit of repair work, some I did myself, some I used tradesmen for. For example:

electrical repairs
    replastering
    replaced a damaged kitchen unit, worktop and some bits of skirting/dado
    painting & decorating
    added additional radiators to central heating
    new carpets
    new fridge/freezer/washing machine

The whole lot came to about £4000. It's been rented out unfurnished again since July 09.

I'm not sure what I can claim as repairs.

I expect the additional radiators will be an improvement, so can't be claimed, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Can I claim the repair work as repairs?
    Can I claim for the new appliances and carpets?
    Can I claim anything for my own time and fuel costs?

Thanks for reading.

My judgement on this would be that the first four items in your list, starting with electrical repairs, are indeed repairs which you can claim for.
    The fifth items (extra radiators) are as you say, an improvement, so you shouldn't enter it as expenditure.
    The last two (carpets and appliances) also can't be claimed for directly but they will presumably help you to obtain a better rent and if the property is offered as furnished, you will be able to claim the 10% (of rent) allowance each year.
    You can't claim for your own time (there wouldn't be any point anyway because you'd have to declare the income and pay tax on it) but you should be OK claiming something for fuel.

Comment

1. Do you have a letting agent?

2. When did you acquire the property?

3. Is the repair work all a result of repairing damage done by your latest T?

Comment

I didn't have a letting agent at the time, but I do now.
        I acquired the property in June 07.
        Some of the work was repairing damage (tenant disappeared with no forwarding address), some of it was long term wear and tear.

I spoke to one of the techs at HMRC today and they've advised most can be claimed as repair, including replacing carpets as long as it was like for like.
        I should claim 40p/mile for car expenses, but can't claim for my own time.

I didn't ask about appliances and extra radiators as I assumed they couldn't be claimed - probably should have asked to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by johnjw View Post
          The last two (carpets and appliances) also can't be claimed for directly but they will presumably help you to obtain a better rent and if the property is offered as furnished, you will be able to claim the 10% (of rent) allowance each year.
          But it's not furnished, therefore he can't claim the 10%. However he should be able to claim for the cost of the carpet, providing it's just replacing a knackered one rather than upgrading the property

Comment

Replacement appliances are tax deductible provided they are no higher spec than the old ones.

Your mileage is deductible for travel from the place of business to the property. If you have a letting agent then his offices are the place of business; if you do not, then it is probably your home. Hence 40p per mile.

So, apart form the additional radiators, it should all be tax deductible.

Comment

Can someone validate Telometer's point that if mileage is allowable, the relevant distance is from the agent's address to the tenants’ address.

If so I might look for an agent in Australia

Comment

Sorry, I was ambiguous. The MAXIMUM claim you can make is from the place of business to the property. Therefore if your agent is in Australia and you travel from London to Exeter, only London to Exeter is deductible.

Comment

Replacement appliances are tax deductible provided they are no higher spec than the old ones.

Are they deductable as 'repair' or do I need to include them some other way?

Thanks for the replies folks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
                    by jpkeates
                    When you complete your tax return, you no longer deduct the interest (and any other finance related costs, e.g. a setup fee) you have paid as an allowable expense.
                    You calculate the tax you would pay without that deduction (i.e. income less other expenses at the appropriate rate(s))
                    Then...
                    04-07-2020, 12:40 PM
                  • Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
                    by cadence248
                    Good afternoon all,

I've been getting to grips with the changes to landlord's tax relief over the last few years. One thing that worries me considerably is that since all rental income is now taxed, and I must pay my loan interest and repayments out of this also, that really doesn't leave...
                    02-07-2020, 15:11 PM
                    by Kape65
                    The 20% credit is automatically applied, you would have been getting it for the last 3 years!
                    04-07-2020, 10:19 AM
                    by jpkeates
                    The only people negatively affected by the change in how the interest can be claimed are higher rate tax payers and standard rate tax payers who were close to the higher rate threshold.

For most landlords, the change is simply in how the tax is calculated, the outcome is the same.
                    04-07-2020, 08:58 AM
                  • Reply to Can we claim back the VAT?
                    by Gordon999
                    Your lease should require the leaseholders to pay annual service charge contribution to the management company.

To keep the non-profit making Management Company dormant which is easier for filing annual returns to Companies House, the service charge money collected from the leaseholders...
                    04-07-2020, 08:18 AM
                  • Can we claim back the VAT?
                    by 529 Charlie
                    We are 3 Leaseholders each with a share of the freehold of our shared building. Purchase of our flats meant we also became Directors of a dormant Management Company. We need urgent maintenance/Major Works doing and wondered how and if we can claim back the VAT charged by the builder(s).

03-07-2020, 18:13 PM
                  • Tax Return
                    by Brian862107
                    Does anyone know of any good online tutorials/guides for filling out your self-assessment tax return? I don't know about you's but I hate filling out forms (they always ask you to tick a box to say the information you've put in is correct too!!)!

This is my first year filling out the self-assessment...
                    01-07-2020, 15:51 PM
                  • Reply to Tax Return
                    by Gordon999
                    Revised figures for your situation ( for 12 months rent.)

Annual rental income = £6000

Buildings insurance = £0.

Maintenance & Repairs = £100

Letting agent = 12 x £60 = £720

Total Expenses = £820

Profit = £6000-...
                    04-07-2020, 07:50 AM
                  • CGT after selling my main residence
                    by Echoes
                    Hi there
                    First of all thanks in advance for your reply. I would really appreciate if you can calify some of my confusion.

I have few queries regarding selling my main residence which would impact on how much CGT I would pay...

1. I am buying a new house to live so...
                    02-07-2020, 14:14 PM
                  • Reply to CGT after selling my main residence
                    by doobrey
                    I had thought it was something like that as well, until I looked it up.

https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-t...property-rates
                    04-07-2020, 07:36 AM
                  Working...
                  X