Pre-letting expenses - Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need to replace the window frames - but you could replace the "blown" double glazed window panes with new panes, with new seals.

Specify good quality parts and they should last longer than 9 years.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Let Property Campaign.
      by armour
      Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
      13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
    • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
      by theartfullodger
      See..
      https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...erty-campaign/

Well done HMRC..

None of my business, and obviously not in anyway a criticism of anybody, but If I had had a friend who I found out had been fiddling tax for 16 years they'd no longer be my friend.
      18-09-2021, 11:46 AM
      by armour
      Fair enough. Thanks for your advice. It is on cash basis.

I guess it would only save her 50 odd quid anyway, maybe less than £80 once the fine and interest is added. I guess she'll have to swallow that.
      Once again, thanks JP and Gordon for your help.
      Chris
      18-09-2021, 09:07 AM
    • Overseas Landlords
      by Santa Fe
      I'm from UK but live overseas and recently discovered that I should be registered as an overseas landlord. I've done a bit of research on what it involves and it seems a bit of a headache - tenants have to fill out forms and pay tax from their rent direct to HMRC. If anyone here is registered as an...
      16-09-2021, 16:44 PM
    • Reply to Overseas Landlords
      by Santa Fe
      Boletus, thank you.
      17-09-2021, 18:37 PM
      by jpkeates
      armour - Sorry, I don't know.
      It might depend on whether you're accounting on the cash basis (in which case I suspect not) or the accrual basis (when it's possible).

But it's not something I ever got involved with when the W&T allowance existed, and all of the practical guidance...
      17-09-2021, 11:43 AM
      by armour
      Thanks JP, that's clear. I'll put the bathroom in with the income tax then. I guess it's much of a muchness anyway as the associated reduction in interest and fine will probably equal out.

I have one last question, if you'd be so kind.

During the year she had to make the eviction,...
      17-09-2021, 09:18 AM
    • Reply to Overseas Landlords
      by boletus
      You fill out this form requesting to have rental income without deduction of tax and pay it yourself;

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1
      16-09-2021, 17:26 PM
      by jpkeates
      The 10% was for furnishings, so built in stuff should be ok to claim.
      The bathroom refurb depends on what was done if it was simply a replacement, it's maintenance, if it was a significant upgrade, it's likely to be part capital/part maintenance.
      If it's a new bathroom, it's probably ca...
      16-09-2021, 08:37 AM
      by armour
      Seems pretty clear there JP. I'll go ahead and alter my calculations

One more thing, My friend had a bathroom refurb and a built in oven and hob replaced during the period when the flat was let furnished. I'm pretty sure that these costs can be detucted in addition to the 10% W&T, but...
      15-09-2021, 14:06 PM
    Working...
    X