Paying wife for property management: tax-deductible?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Paying wife for property management: tax-deductible?

    My wife is no longer working and, while I am at my full time job, she has agreed to run the property business.

    I would then not use a solicitor, or estate agent, and she will (is already) undertaking:

    = Accounts
    = Advertising/finding tenants
    = Correspondence letters/check in/check out/tenant issues
    = Inspection, inventory etc
    = Sourcing & instructing plumber/s electrician/s repairmen / cleaners
    = Some (minor) repairs herself - multi-talented!
    = Any other management activities relating to the property

    At this stage it is a single property letting 4 rooms (under separate ASTs), having communal areas.

    Clearly I would like to pay generously for this role, as I feel it important and she can add more value than a letting agent!. She is proficent in business activbities and has a senior marketing background.

    But what is reasonable to pay what could be the basis for calculation?

    I can only think that a letting agent would charge 12% on income and she would be doing a little more than this for me. Am I being naive in thinking that I could put her on a simple fixed salary of around £200-£250/month (property income is £1550/month at full occupation)?

    This would be fully documented in the business, with direct bank payments for salary, and even an employment contract, if necessary. A fixed salary would be easier to manage than keeping a track of every specific thing she does.

    For sake of doubt she currently has no ownership in the property. Actually, if this was to change later, what would be the impact if she was a beneficial owner at 50% or 99% on whatever the above figure might be.

    Merry Xmas everyone. Would be very interested in your comments and thoughts.

    You can pay her exactly wht you would have paid somebody else. And add on a bit if you think the service is better.

    If you think you're getting something for nothing, then you're cheating the tax man and paying her too much!

    If employed, then you get into NI, PAYE etc. (probably not at the salary you propose).

    Much easier to change her beneficial ownership to 99% (unless you have previously lived in the property in which case there would be a CGT loss to you on eventual sale).



      being new ot the BTL myself I ma interested in the 99% beneficial ownership, I am in a similar position to GJM Surrey in that my wife is not in full time employment, nor does she currently have any ownership rights the the single BTL poroerty we have. Are you saying it makes more sense to change ownership into her name ? please can you enlighten me.



        If you pay her then she becomes self employed and has to declare this to HMRC and has to pay NI and tax if you pay her enough!


          Who owns the property. ? Regards Peter


            Paying wife: how much is reasonable??

            While I am at my full time job, and my wife is a part time supply teacher currently receiving little work, is makes sense that she runs my 4 room HMO, particularly as she does most of it while I am at work anyway!.

            I have some general questions which I wouldn't mind soem opinions on.

            (1) To best document this should she simply generate an invoice on me for "3 months management work" and I pay from my business account directly to her own?

            (2) What is reasonable payment for such activities. She will handle tenant calls, arrange check in and documents and generate my accounts (with my help). She will also be "on call" for any contractor or tenant call/emergency, as well as visit the property and will probably do the inspections and fire alarm testing for me. I have no idea what is a reasonable monthly or annual cost. Are there any guidelines as this is only one property albeit with 4 differneta greemenst and communal areas to contend with, so there are some diseconomies of scale.

            (3) She will need to declare the income of course, and I guess how she does this will depend on whether she will be below or above the no tax threshold.

            Any pointers would be excellent.



              Commercial (i.e. is she going to leave you) considerations aside, give her the property; much simpler. (Unless you used to live there and would lose PPR relief.)


                I totally forgot that I asked this question last year (talk about slow to act!). Thanks to whoever pulled this up.

                Noted about transfering property to wifes name - need to think about that one as it would be the most economical way...


                Latest Activity


                • CGT and income
                  by slopemaster
                  Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
                  06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
                • Reply to CGT and income
                  by Gordon999
                  The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

                  07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
                • Reply to CGT and income
                  by slopemaster
                  Thank you all
                  06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
                • Reply to CGT and income
                  by Lesney Park

                  You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
                  06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
                • Reply to CGT and income
                  by jpkeates
                  You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
                  When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
                  06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
                • Reply to CGT and income
                  by theartfullodger
                  60 days not 2 months.
                  06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
                • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                  by DoricPixie
                  How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
                  04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
                • SDLT and first time buyers
                  by mpppen
                  Hello again.

                  Just wondering if someone can advise.

                  If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

                  If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
                  03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
                • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                  by jpkeates
                  If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
                  It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

                  There's obviously...
                  04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
                • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                  by AndrewDod
                  Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
                  04-07-2022, 14:45 PM