New boiler needed - what can I claim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boiler needed - what can I claim?

I have to put a new boiler into a house. What costs can I claim back?
    Thanks

If it's a new house to you then it's capital improvement and can't be claimed against income tax. Keep the receipts for use when you sell and to reduce any capital gains tax.....if there is any!

If it's replacement of a boiler in a house that is already a btl then you can claim all of the replacement costs against your rental income.

If it's the house you live in you can't claim anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipper View Post
      If it's a new house to you then it's capital improvement and can't be claimed against income tax. Keep the receipts for use when you sell and to reduce any capital gains tax.....if there is any!

If it's replacement of a boiler in a house that is already a btl then you can claim all of the replacement costs against your rental income.

If it's the house you live in you can't claim anything.
      Thank you. It's already a btl. Does this claim include costs for tradesmen or it is just the cost of the physical boiler?

Comment

The entire bill and the new safety certificate and any associated re-decoration and making good. Regards Peter

Comment

Taxation treatment of new boiler

The Government have announced fairly recently a concession whereby "qualifying expenditure" on improving energy efficiency in let dwellings can be written off against rental profit income. This is not so far as I recall going to be an open ended concession. There is a limit of £1500 per letting. Certainly insulation qualifies; quite possibly if you are replacing an old boiler with an ultra efficient condensing boiler this will qualify too. I will try to find a link to the official HMRC release on this concession and post it here

Comment

Out of curiosity, what if you replace a very old innefficient boiler 'just' prior to letting as you know that you will get complaints if you let with that boiler and have to replace it and do work which would disrupt tennants...

Comment

timing of energy efficiency work

I think that it would be perfectly acceptable to change the boiler between or just before a letting so long as in that tax year you were showing rental income from that property

Comment

Originally posted by James Holmes View Post
                Out of curiosity, what if you replace a very old innefficient boiler 'just' prior to letting as you know that you will get complaints if you let with that boiler and have to replace it and do work which would disrupt tennants...
                If it is a property you have not rented out, then it is capital and no deduction is permitted.

If it is an ongoing rental property then a revenue deduction is granted.

Comment

Sorry to hijack a thread but i am new to this....my property has been let out for about 2 months and the shower walls needs replacing (leak discovered which has been leaking for a while but has now become apparent on the bedroom wall). Is this reclaimable against tax in addition to the 10% wear and tear allowance??
                  Thanks.

Comment

No. It is a pre-existing problem and therefore capital.

You can obtain a deduction against CGT when you eventually sell the property.

Comment

Typical!! Ok thanks for letting me know, most helpful.

Ben

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CGT and income
                        by slopemaster
                        Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
                        06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
                      • Reply to CGT and income
                        by Gordon999
                        The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

https://assets.publishing.service.go...sa108-2022.pdf
                        07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
                        by slopemaster
                        Thank you all
                        06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
                        by Lesney Park
                        Yes

You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC https://www.gov.uk/report-and-pay-yo...r-6-april-2020 estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
                        06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
                        by jpkeates
                        You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
                        When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
                        06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
                        by theartfullodger
                        60 days not 2 months.
                        06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
                      • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                        by DoricPixie
                        How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
                        04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
                      • SDLT and first time buyers
                        by mpppen
                        Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
                        03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
                        It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
                        04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
                        by AndrewDod
                        Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
                        04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
                      Working...
                      X