tax treatment for lease extension costs

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    tax treatment for lease extension costs

    I'm going to incur £8k to extend my lease. Originally I thought this would only have a capital gains impact, but as it reduced my ground rent (whcih is a cost against income), can I offset a proportion of the costs against rental income ?

    A lease is capital in nature and do not believe that a portion can migrate in the revenue column. Regards Peter


      Natch Pete!

      A lease premium may be deductible in all sorts of ways - though I doubt it will be of help to OP as he probably doesn't have a trading business nor use it to run his rental business from.


        Also, a premium for a lease of 50yrs. or less is (I recall) treated as L's income.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


          Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Also, a premium for a lease of 50yrs. or less is (I recall) treated
          as L's income.


            Tax treatment - lease extension

            What is not widely known is that for those granting lease extensions if they are granted strictly pursuant to the terms of the 1993 Act the grantor is allowed to "roll over" the premium and defer the tax liability on the premium provided the proceeds are reinvested in "land" either twelve months before the premium is received or up to three years later.


              Indeed, under the compulsory purchase legislation.



              Latest Activity


              • CGT and income
                by slopemaster
                Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
                06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
              • Reply to CGT and income
                by Gordon999
                The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

                07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
              • Reply to CGT and income
                by slopemaster
                Thank you all
                06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
              • Reply to CGT and income
                by Lesney Park

                You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
                06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
              • Reply to CGT and income
                by jpkeates
                You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
                When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
                06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
              • Reply to CGT and income
                by theartfullodger
                60 days not 2 months.
                06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
              • SDLT and first time buyers
                by mpppen
                Hello again.

                Just wondering if someone can advise.

                If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

                If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
                03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
              • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                by DoricPixie
                How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
                04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
              • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                by jpkeates
                If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
                It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

                There's obviously...
                04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
              • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                by AndrewDod
                Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
                04-07-2022, 14:45 PM