Simplest way to utilise lower tax rate of spouse against rental income tax?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Simplest way to utilise lower tax rate of spouse against rental income tax?

    I do not know if you can help with this?

    A spouse owning property to let wishes to utilise the lower tax band of the other spouse.

    Is there a simple way of doing this without -giving away- the property to the other so without too much paperwork?

    I wonder if it is enough that one simply advises the taxman that 99% (or whatever percentage) of the rental benefit goes to the lower earning spouse? Or must the lower earner actually have to legally own this same proportion of the property (i.e. change the deeds and mortgage)?

    Maybe this is limited to 75% as the mortgage covers 25%.

    Thanks in advance for what could be a silly question

    A Declaration of Trust placing beneficial ownerhip 99% to the spouse, and submitting Form 17 to HMRC declaring this change will retain the legal ownership and the relief's and allowances. However it sounds as though the spouse ones the properties solely and there would have to be an interspousal transfer on a no loss, no gain basis. You need to see well versed professional legal advice on this. If need assistance PM me with your location although this can be done remotely. Regards Peter


      This answers my question perfectly. Specifically that spouse one needs to undertake interspousal transfer of asset to the other before considering the rest of the items. That was the bit that gave me the right perspective.

      Thanks for the PM offer. Fingers crossed it should be okay now and I go to touch lots of wood.


        I am concerned that I di not have the facts and the present owner may have lived in the property so a transfer may loose PPR and Letting relief, so you need to tell me the facts so I can best advise. Regards Peter


        Latest Activity


        • Sunday Times Report 7 Aug 2022 ( on Welsh holiday lets.)
          by Gordon999
          This report was about a retired solicitor living in Cardiff , with 2 holiday lets in Solva , Pembrokeshire. His properties only let for around 18 weeks a year but Welsh Government require 26 weeks letting to qualify for business rates. The increase in council tax to treble rate compared to rate...
          13-08-2022, 17:22 PM
        • Reply to Sunday Times Report 7 Aug 2022 ( on Welsh holiday lets.)
          by Section20z
          This guardian one gives an idea just how bad things are in Wales
          14-08-2022, 09:12 AM
        • Reply to Sunday Times Report 7 Aug 2022 ( on Welsh holiday lets.)
          by Section20z
          Well done the Welsh government, so he has two properties each empty for 9 months when locals can't find permanent homes. Let's hope England follows...
          14-08-2022, 09:10 AM
        • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
          by BIGGYBIBIG
          Hello everyone,
          I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

          I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

          I have phoned 5 different solicitors
          10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
        • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
          by DoricPixie
          It’s not 3% but an additional 3% on top of the SDLT you’d pay if you didn’t already own another residential dwelling.

          I see you’ve found someone who can help you. You are correct that there are a number of solicitors who don’t understand the SDLT rules for the higher rate of...
          14-08-2022, 00:02 AM
        • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
          by BIGGYBIBIG
          Well after emailing and chatting to around 20 solicitors and accountants i finally found someone who specializes in these matters.

          Took a lot of time and effort but instead of over £21,000+ its actually £9,250 which is a saving of £12k, phew just shows you that many solicitors have little...
          13-08-2022, 18:25 PM
        • Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by Tony-Edwards
          Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

          Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

          Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
          11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
        • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by gnvqsos

          Did the labouring job jeopardise his position at Royal Mail? lt is strange no contingency fund was taken on holiday.. I don't think it makes sense to purchase, and insure/maintain a camper van to save on 7 days accommodation.The typical cost including depreciation exceeds...
          13-08-2022, 14:54 PM
        • Expense Categories
          by philrosenberg
          I'm just in the process of buying my first property as a Ltd company and I have gotten FreeAgent accounting software free with my bank account.

          I have a list of categories to assign to my expenses, but they aren't all that relevant to residential property businesses. I wondered if others...
          13-08-2022, 10:53 AM
        • Reply to Expense Categories
          by theartfullodger
          The old saw was that you had 3 sets of accounts....
          ​​​​​​- one for yourself
          - 2nd for tax man
          - 3rd for wife/husband/partner
          How does your chosen software handle this?...
          13-08-2022, 12:14 PM