CGT: Principle Residence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT: Principle Residence

I bought a property in 1993 which I lived in for 3 years. I then moved into rental accommodation and have let the property I own ever since. I am considering buying another property with my husband and would like to know how I stand wrt CGT if I were to sell my property.

1. No cgt while you lived there as ppr

2. No cgt on last three years of ownership

3. Lettings relief applies to intervening period
    Steve Sims

Yardleystar Accountancy
    0870 242 1047

Email: ssims@yardleystar.co.uk

Comment

Period from 1993 to 1996 is exempt as your only or main residence. A further 3 years are exempt as final 3 years of ownership. Therefore, you have 6 years exempt and 6 years chargeable. All final gains will be apportioned 50/50. The amount of chargeable gains is further reduced by lettings relief equal to your exempt gains restricted to a maximum of £40,000. Any remaining chargeable gains is reduced by taper relief of 30% and also annual exemption of £8,500.

Therefore, so long as your gains do not exceed approximately £105,000, you will not have any capital gains tax to pay.
      Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
        by Sara2
        Mother died in 2007 left house to me and my 2 sibs it was family home and i lived in it until 1985 when i had my own house. My brother also lived in house at point mum died and he remained there until 2010 when not being able to sell the property i purchased whole of property by buying brother and...
        13-06-2021, 11:53 AM
      • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
        by Sara2
        I fail to see how i can notify hmrc that rental was terminated in 2019 whilt non paying tenant remained in the property until May 21
        17-06-2021, 19:29 PM
        by Gordon999
        If you do not inform the Tax Office and just move back to live in the BTL property, the "rental business with tax losses" , can remain in existence for three years.

https://www.property-tax-portal.co.u...business.shtml

But the property owner can notify the Tax Office...
        17-06-2021, 12:28 PM
      • Reply to IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
        by jpkeates
        But there's £750,000 mortgage lending to pay off when you die, so the "giving away" is more like a loan.

I'm not expecting anyone to pay 1p more tax than they should, but I find it's sometimes interesting to replace "the taxman" and "HMRC" with "we/us"...
        17-06-2021, 09:38 AM
      • IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
        by clairol
        So I’ve been listening to some property investment seminars where the suggestion is to buy ‘good’ properties, regularly put the rent up and never sell them.
        The advice is to keep them forever so you do not pay CGT; re-finance regularly and either enjoy the money or re-invest it; pay minimal...
        16-06-2021, 16:40 PM
        by Section20z
        Yes but people who do maths in your example could give the £750,000 away before death so beneficiaries get £400,000 extra and tax man loses ....
        17-06-2021, 09:01 AM
        by jpkeates
        It might be popular, but only to people who can't do maths.

It's only a tax effective policy in the same way that having no money when you die means you don't pay that much inheritance tax.

Ignoring the reliefs and personal thresholds for simplicity, if you die with a portfolio...
        17-06-2021, 08:10 AM
        by jpkeates
        Surely the business continued (the rent was still owed, even if not paid) and the business continued until the disposal of the property (assuming it was the only property in the business).

Your interpretation is more appealing if it can be justified....
        17-06-2021, 07:54 AM
        by jpkeates
        Whoever gave you that advice doesn't understand how CGT works.
        You straight line the increase between purchase and disposal and you can deduct any time the property was your main residence (plus some additional months) as that period's gain is tax free.

Any valuation when you start...
        17-06-2021, 07:52 AM
        by Section20z
        I think the point being made is that landlords refinance to use the equity without selling and thus avoid CGT but it's perfectly legal and not necessarily depriving the state coffers as they might not otherwise sell .
        Its long been touted as a good way for building a portfolio and frequently promoted...
        17-06-2021, 07:47 AM
      Working...
      X