Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowable Expenses - how far back

Hi everyone.

Just become a landlord for the first time. We've let our family home out via a letting agent and moved to live in a rented house nearer work.

I understand that for tax purposes we can offset the cost of any repairs / decoration, but I don't know how far back that can go. Effectively, we have been considering letting the property for the last two years - can I claim back that far for repairs/decorations?

Another question, if I may: The IR says that we must be able to separate our rental income from our personal finances (understandably). Does that mean we ahve to have a separate bank account, or can this "separation" just be done at an accounting level - its much easier for us to just have our rental income coming in to our joint account so we can pay the mortgage with it !!

Thanks in advance for any replies ...

Jon Duffy

Property Expenses

Hi Jon,

So long as the expenditure is normal trading expenditure, you can claim for expenses incurred within the 7 years prior to the trade having started. Please bear in mind that allowable expenditure does NOT include repairs to the property which were required before it could be brought into use - this sounds unlikely in your case but it is always worth mentioning!

You do not have to have a separate bank account for your rental income and expenditure, simply make sure you keep good records & receipts of all your expenses. To make life easier, it may be an idea to quickly go through your bank statements each month & identify the income & expenditure which relates to your property income. At the end of the tax year, this will mean that you should be able to easily find & account for all expenses and transfer these to your tax return form.

Hope this helps!
    Susan
    E:susanamason@aol.com
    W: www.worsleytaxationservices.com

Comment

Re: Property Expenses

Hi Susan,

That's great - thanks for the advice!

Jon

Comment

The 7 year rule does not apply when it was your home.

Only the interest element of the mortgage is claimable.

A separate business bank account is preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by susanm View Post
          Hi Jon,

So long as the expenditure is normal trading expenditure, you can claim for expenses incurred within the 7 years prior to the trade having started. Please bear in mind that allowable expenditure does NOT include repairs to the property which were required before it could be brought into use - this sounds unlikely in your case but it is always worth mentioning!
          Originally posted by King_Maker View Post
          The 7 year rule does not apply when it was your home.
          Lots of inaccuracies in the above. Firstly, there is no trade. There is a rental business.

The 7 year rule DOES apply when it was your home. However, it is unlikely that any/much expenditure prior to letting out was wholly and exclusively in respect of your rental business.

I suppose that if you had your house painted in shocking pink, and you painted it magnolia for the purposes of letting it out, then that would probably be tax deductible provided the pink decor was in reasonable state.

Anyway, in answer to your question, it is unlikely that you have any relevant expenditure as most of the expenditure will be capital. Worth keeping a note of it in case there is any CGT due when you sell your house.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
            The 7 year rule DOES apply when it was your home. However, it is unlikely that any/much expenditure prior to letting out was wholly and exclusively in respect of your rental business.
            Name one deductible item which would apply while the property is being used as a home.

Comment

The principle remains the same; it is possible to claim for any item of expenditure incurred wholly and exclusively for the letting business in the seven years prior to first let.

The fact that it is unlikely that any/much expenditure falls to be W&E for the purposes of the letting business does not impact the tax principle.

There is quite probably a very good argument for the magnolia-from-shocking-pink redecoration as there is no element of improvement - save for aesthetic(!)

Name one deductible item which would apply while the property is being used as a home.

What about costs of arranging loan finance, capitalised and amortised over the life of the loan?

Comment

What about costs of arranging loan finance, capitalised and amortised over the life of the loan?
                No, they would not be allowable while the property was being used as a home.

Do you consider the associated interest to be allowable too?

Comment

Originally posted by King_Maker View Post
                  No, they would not be allowable while the property was being used as a home.
                  Of course they would not. What a ridiculous assertion that would be, and not one I have made.

HOWEVER, the EXPENDITURE was incurred whilst the property was used as a home, and the relevant amortisation of the cost is allowable where it relates to the time period that the property is subsequently rented.

Comment

Of course they would not. What a ridiculous assertion that would be, and not one I have made.

HOWEVER, the EXPENDITURE was incurred whilst the property was used as a home, and the relevant amortisation of the cost is allowable where it relates to the time period that the property is subsequently rented.
                    Just as well, as you would have been wrong on that point too.

Comment

You're the one who asserted that the 7-year rule did not apply if it had been your home. I have not been wrong on anything in this thread; you have.

In the special world of the Kingmaker, s272(2) ITTOIA 2005 - applying s57 ITTOIA 2005 does not apply under such circumstances.

Fortunately, for the rest of us it does.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                        by Tony-Edwards
                        Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
                        11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
                      • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                        by royw
                        I'm not quite quite sure why you think they are being robbed? They have assets so can afford to pay for themselves. I would consider the council tax payers - many of whom can only dream of owning their own home - to have been robbed if they have to pay for it.
                        Totally agree about those who could...
                        11-08-2022, 22:45 PM
                      • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                        by BIGGYBIBIG
                        Hello everyone,
                        I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
                        10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
                      • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                        by BIGGYBIBIG
                        It would seem there is nobody with any knowledge on here, which is strange as i would have thought many people would have purchased blocks of flats and even if they did pay the wrong stamp duty by mistake as they did not know , HMRC do give you a one year window from completion to claim it back
                        11-08-2022, 18:52 PM
                        by BIGGYBIBIG
                        That is only an example where it says houses the actual term is `dwelling`
                        one title with 2 or more dwelling relief can then be added, however most people are unaware
                        11-08-2022, 18:47 PM
                        by Gordon999
                        You are buying one title, not buying 5 separate titles...
                        11-08-2022, 17:35 PM
                        by BIGGYBIBIG
                        Again taken from HMRC website it states if (6 or more dwellings which mine is 8) it may be treated as a non residential transaction for the purposes of SDLT so will owning my own home have any effect on this?? Presumably i am thinking 1% minimum would still apply?

SDLTM29905 - Relief for

11-08-2022, 17:22 PM
                        by BIGGYBIBIG
                        whilst you are correct in most cases however that is not taking into account SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                        here is a copy and paste from HMRC own website, hence the reason for the post

Example
                        You buy 5 houses for £1 million.
                        £1 million divided by 5 is £200,000....
                        11-08-2022, 16:39 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        That's part of why it's worth getting professional advice - sometimes paying some CGT at 18% is more appealing than IHT at 40%.

But lots of people don't have to pay any IHT at all, and if the bulk of the estate is a £200k property it would be well under the threshold at which any tax is...
                        11-08-2022, 15:15 PM
                        by Neelix
                        Hum,

We know a family where the dad got a dementia diagnosis at the age of about 66 - he lived another 12 years. The cash assets of the parents were split 50/50 and these went quickly. There is a 50% charge on the house, that the wife can live in for life but can't downsize because 50%...
                        11-08-2022, 15:10 PM
                      Working...
                      X