http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/CG1manual/cg15250.htm
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105notes.pdf
    Regards
    Peter

Leave a comment:

• anselld
    replied
    Originally posted by TaxationPete View Post
    Only fees directly associated to acquisition of the property. Costs of financing are not.

Regards Peter
    Thanks Peter. Yes I read those too from one of your previous posts.

Perhaps I am being thick, but this is my first one so bear with me! In my examples 1 and 2 are they costs associated with finance (hence expense) or are they capital because they are associated with the purchase?

And if an expense is not deductable from income, eg buying furniture, is it therefore a capital expense to offset against future CGT?

Leave a comment:

• TaxationPete
    replied
    Pre and Post Letting deductibles

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/PIM2505.htm

Only fees directly associated to acquisition of the property. Costs of financing are not.

Regards Peter

Leave a comment:

• anselld
    started a topic Tax treatment of Property Purchase costs

Tax treatment of Property Purchase costs

Hi,

I have just purchased a BTL and I want to make sure I get the accounting right between capital expenditure and expense

I am assuming ....
    purchase price
    legal fees
    electronic conveyancing fee
    environmental search fee
    land registry search fee
    registration fees
    SDLT Completion fee
    stamp duty
    ... are all capital.

(1) What about Telegraphic Transfer fee? Is this finance charge (expense) or is it still capital since related to the purchase?

(2) What about my own CHAPS fee to transfer deposit and completion monies from my bank to my solicitor?

(3) What about the cost of new furnishings for the property. I know is is not an allowable expense but does it go down as capital?

(4) Likewise what about furnishings purchased from the vendor?

Apologies if these are all blindingly obvious questions but I have read three books with explanations on this and none of them make it absolutely clear.

Thanks in advance.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to CGT and income
    by slopemaster
    Thank you all
    06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
  • CGT and income
    by slopemaster
    Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
    06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
    by Lesney Park
    Yes

You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC https://www.gov.uk/report-and-pay-yo...r-6-april-2020 estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
    06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
    by jpkeates
    You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
    When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
    06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
    by theartfullodger
    60 days not 2 months.
    06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
  • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
    by DoricPixie
    How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
    04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
  • SDLT and first time buyers
    by mpppen
    Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
    03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
    by jpkeates
    If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
    It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
    04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
    by AndrewDod
    Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
    04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
    by mpppen
    Thanks.

Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
    04-07-2022, 13:55 PM
Working...
X