X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Accountant
    replied
    Originally posted by gullarm
    Hi sorry for the simple questions but the search function does not appear to be working.

I have two property that I rent out, I have rented to family and friends for past several years and have lived in both of the property’s at several times, so never declared any tax interest, when my sister was living there after her marriage breakdown she lived there for free and I paid all the bills? Nice eh!

Last year I finally rented them both out via the local paper as they were both now empty and I had the chance to move in with my girlfriend.

I registered with the Tax Man to pay extra tax on the internet but never actually said what I was doing (i.e. renting out houses), last week I received a self assessment letter asking me to make a payment before the 31st of Jan, is it just a case of sending them a cheque for the correct amount or do I actually have to tell them how I figured my accounts out (Profit and Loss etc).

I earn around 15K from my normal job and gross from my rental is £8000, so is it just a case of taking all the expenses ( advert fees, mortgage interest, boiler repairs etc ) off the £8K and then working out 22% of the final amount for the prev tax year.

Like I said earlier the search is not working.

Cheers.
    It seems that you have registered with the Inland Revenue to submit your self-assessment online.

It also appears that you are now being required to file a self-assessment tax return for the tax year ended 5 April 2005 which needs to be completed and submitted by 31 January 2006. Any tax due for the same tax year also needs to be paid by 31 January 2006.

(1) You need to complete your self-assessment tax return, including the land and property pages to declare your rental income and expenses. This could be submitted online or by way of paper return.

(2) You need to calculate your total tax liability for the year and deduct therefrom any tax already suffered at source, such as PAYE on your earnings (see P60 certificate). Any balance of tax is to be paid by 31.01.2006.

Ramnik

Leave a comment:

• gullarm
    started a topic Simple tax questions - the search function is kaput

Simple tax questions - the search function is kaput

Hi sorry for the simple questions but the search function does not appear to be working.

I have two property that I rent out, I have rented to family and friends for past several years and have lived in both of the property’s at several times, so never declared any tax interest, when my sister was living there after her marriage breakdown she lived there for free and I paid all the bills? Nice eh!

Last year I finally rented them both out via the local paper as they were both now empty and I had the chance to move in with my girlfriend.

I registered with the Tax Man to pay extra tax on the internet but never actually said what I was doing (i.e. renting out houses), last week I received a self assessment letter asking me to make a payment before the 31st of Jan, is it just a case of sending them a cheque for the correct amount or do I actually have to tell them how I figured my accounts out (Profit and Loss etc).

I earn around 15K from my normal job and gross from my rental is £8000, so is it just a case of taking all the expenses ( advert fees, mortgage interest, boiler repairs etc ) off the £8K and then working out 22% of the final amount for the prev tax year.

Like I said earlier the search is not working.

Cheers.
    Last edited by gullarm; 15-01-2006, 13:12 PM.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tax / cgt question for renovating property
    by DroidEgg
    I purchased a shell of a house that was structurally sound but needed complete refurbishment. The house had been ransacked many items. eg All the radiators & copper pipe had been ripped from the walls.
    A builder completed all the work from start to finish. The final cost was an all-in job...
    02-07-2022, 10:33 AM
  • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
    by Gordon999
    The underlying principle is that the cost of buying a property in good condition is clearly capital expenditure. Hence the cost of buying a dilapidated property and putting it in good order is also capital expenditure....
    02-07-2022, 17:21 PM
    by dp17
    See the following property income manual, from HMRC , may be of some help.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...manual/pim2030...
    02-07-2022, 16:19 PM
    by Section20z
    It may certainly be beneficial to allocate some of those expenses to running costs, electrical work required for the NEIC certainly is solely for the letting. Depends how much profit you are likely to make though, you'll have to do some sums .
    02-07-2022, 13:00 PM
    by Gordon999
    If you purchased a building shell , and had the builder carry out the refurbishment work , then enter all expenses as an improvement in your records. You paid the builder by cheque and should have kept bank statements to show all payments .

No need to break down the cost into operating...
    02-07-2022, 11:59 AM
    by jpkeates
    I'd suggest that based on that description, all of the work was probably capital.
    02-07-2022, 10:43 AM
  • CGT query
    by vik238754
    Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
    23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
  • Reply to CGT query
    by Gordon999
    I believe your solicitor has to prepare a Deed of Trust which transfers 60 % interest in the property from wife to you.

You need to make clear to your solicitor that Deed is for HMRC only and not for registration at Land Registry

After signing the Deed , you...
    01-07-2022, 16:51 PM
  • Reply to CGT query
    by vik238754
    The existing declaration states 10:90 beneficial interest not legal interest
    01-07-2022, 13:06 PM
  • Reply to CGT query
    by Gordon999
    The Declaration changing the beneficial interest to 70:30 is prepared only for showing to the Tax Office .

The existing registration of 10% :90% legal interest at Land Registry does not change and the Mortgage Lender has already accepted this situation. .
    01-07-2022, 12:18 PM
Working...
X