SA - BTL question re unfurnished let

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA - BTL question re unfurnished let

Hi, this is a very basic question, but this is my first tax return as a BTL landlord and I just want to check I've done it right before I submit my form.

I have 2 properties, both bought during 07-08 tax year; 1 is let furnished the other unfurnished.

I know I can claim the 10% depreciation for the furnished one, plus the cost of certain repairs I've had to do.

For the unfurnished one, I don't seem to be able to claim anything apart from insurance and the gas maintenance contract. I didn't have to do any repairs during that tax year. The lease was drawn up by the lawyer I used to buy the property, he didn't charge for it and I had no costs in finding a tenant.

Am I correct in thinking there's nothing I can claim for this property?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I've entered the finance costs, insurance and gas maintenance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice
      by SouthernDave
      I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
      23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
    • Advice
      by jhoggard
      Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
      20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
    • Reply to Advice
      by jpkeates
      I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
      At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
      23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
    • Reply to Advice
      by SouthernDave
      i concur with this, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders....
      23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
    • Reply to Advice
      by JamesHopeful
      This is not true in my experience. I currently have eight properties in the same company, across a number of different mainstream BTL lenders, and none of them have batted an eyelid at the number.

Where I have known lenders worry about the company is it doesn't have the correct SIC code...
      23-01-2022, 16:28 PM
    • Reply to Advice
      by theartfullodger
      Depends to a great degree on tax regulations over the coming years. We only know what the rules are today, not what they'll be in future e.g. when you retire

I expect chancellors to cut back on the advantages of people owning property through companies (well, wouldn't you if you were chancellor)...
      22-01-2022, 13:06 PM
    • Reply to Advice
      by Gordon999
      1. No. You have not sold the property yet

2. 19% on profit by company.

3. Seek advice from accountant.
      22-01-2022, 09:36 AM
    • haring inherited property
      by halfax
      i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
      as anyone done similar?...
      19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
    • Reply to haring inherited property
      by halfax
      thanks for help to everyone who replied, great forum
      21-01-2022, 18:55 PM
    • Reply to Looking for tax / financial advice for a BTL /holiday let long-held portfolio
      by ifallelsefails
      I watched a webinar from Landlord studio and this man Tony Gimple was featured in it. Have a look at his Linkedin profile:
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonygimp...alSubdomain=uk
      He has a website whereby he consults exactly to your situation:
      https://www.bel.gb.net/
      21-01-2022, 17:13 PM
    Working...
    X