Expenses deductible against taxable rent received?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses deductible against taxable rent received?

I have been left a property which i intend to rent out, unfurnished
    I have spent £7,000 from my savings installing a new kitchen, bathroom, flooring & making good (painting etc.)

If i generate £8,000 in income in my first year, can I offset this aginst the expenditure i have laid out?

I am also liable to pay child support to my ex. where does all this fit in?

This has been addressed many times recently on this forum so scan down the titles for information. Basically they are deductable from your rental income and any profit, after all expenses, gas safety cert (compulsory) maintenance and repairs agents fees if you use one, then that can be apper to you normal salary so it may be reflect in your child support to your ex. Regards Peter

Comment

I recommend getting hold of HMRC's booklet IR150 on the taxation of Rents.

Unfortunately, it is obsolete, having been subsumed into HMRC's Property Income Manual (viewable on line).

Comment

Originally posted by TaxationPete View Post
        This has been addressed many times recently on this forum... Basically they are deductable from your rental income Regards Peter
        It has indeed been discussed many times recently, and all too often - as above - the wrong advice has been given. Unfortunately these costs are NOT deductible against income - they form a part of the capital acquisition cost of the property.

HMRC tells us at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/PIM2020.htm

Other examples of capital expenses include:
        the cost of refurbishing or repairing a property bought in a derelict or run-down state,
        So your new kitchen, painting, flooring etc. is NOT deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
          they form a part of the capital acquisition cost of the property.
          Strictly that should have said "they EFFECTIVELY form a part of the capital acquisition costs. Strictly it is enhancement expenditure, but there is no difference from your perspective."

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice
            by jhoggard
            Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
            20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
          • Reply to Advice
            by SouthernDave
            I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
            23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
          • Reply to Advice
            by jpkeates
            I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
            At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
            23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
          • Reply to Advice
            by SouthernDave
            i concur with this, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders....
            23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
          • Reply to Advice
            by JamesHopeful
            This is not true in my experience. I currently have eight properties in the same company, across a number of different mainstream BTL lenders, and none of them have batted an eyelid at the number.

Where I have known lenders worry about the company is it doesn't have the correct SIC code...
            23-01-2022, 16:28 PM
          • Reply to Advice
            by theartfullodger
            Depends to a great degree on tax regulations over the coming years. We only know what the rules are today, not what they'll be in future e.g. when you retire

I expect chancellors to cut back on the advantages of people owning property through companies (well, wouldn't you if you were chancellor)...
            22-01-2022, 13:06 PM
          • Reply to Advice
            by Gordon999
            1. No. You have not sold the property yet

2. 19% on profit by company.

3. Seek advice from accountant.
            22-01-2022, 09:36 AM
          • Reply to haring inherited property
            by halfax
            thanks for help to everyone who replied, great forum
            21-01-2022, 18:55 PM
          • haring inherited property
            by halfax
            i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
            as anyone done similar?...
            19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
          • Reply to Looking for tax / financial advice for a BTL /holiday let long-held portfolio
            by ifallelsefails
            I watched a webinar from Landlord studio and this man Tony Gimple was featured in it. Have a look at his Linkedin profile:
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonygimp...alSubdomain=uk
            He has a website whereby he consults exactly to your situation:
            https://www.bel.gb.net/
            21-01-2022, 17:13 PM
          Working...
          X