Is allowance applied before CGT is calculated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is allowance applied before CGT is calculated?

Hi, can someone tell me if...

on a gain of say £90000 with 2 people(19200)allowance
    is 18% taken off first to give a gain of £16200
    and then your allowance of £19200 giving no tax to pay
    or
    £90000-£19200 allowance=70800 and then 18% to give £12744 tax to pay

thanks

Steady. The CG allowance is £9,600 each (£9,200 last year) It is the gain minus acquisition, sales and legal costs, minus allowance and then tax at 18%. If the exchange of contract was dated last your then it is quite different. Was this a rental property that you once live in. Tell me more. Regards Peter
    Last edited by TaxationPete; 19-08-2008, 14:28 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Just spoke to my accountant and she said no cgt was due.
      my example:
      bought property in 1991....55000
      lived in it as main residence till 2003....
      rented out from 2003-jan 2008
      sell hopefully?...this year for 170000 after accepting offer
      so lived in for 12yrs+3yrs extra allowance I was told =15yrs out of 17yrs ownership as main residence.
      + less than 40k rent allowed rule etc.
      The main point here is that the Gov has taken away everything regarding old cgt rules but the main residence rules which they couldn't....well, not yet anyway......thankfully in my case

Comment

Your assumptions are not quite correct, other then there is no CGT due. Based on mid date, mid year and you figure then here is it :

Capital Gains Summary

Purchase Price £55,000 14/06/1991
        Indexation 0.000 £55,000
        Legal Fees £0
        Sale Price £170,000 14/10/2008
        Enhancements £0
        Legal Fees £0
        Gross Gain £115,000
        PPR Relief £99,519 £15,481
        Letting Relief £30,993 -£15,512
        Taper Relief 0% -£15,512
        CG Allow'ce 2 £9,600 -£34,712
        CG Bill £0

'-' numbers indicates unused relief's or allowances.

I read between the lines thus my question regarding whether you lives there, I assume you both lived there. ? Regards Peter

Comment

I also assume you have declare the rental income to HMRC. No declaration , no letting relief. Regards Peterd

Comment

Hi Pete, thanks for your response..............
            Yes we both lived in it, and yes all rental income was declared, at the end of the day there's no CGT due.......all I got to do is sell it now.

Comment

You should note that you have circa £34,000 of unused reliefs or allowance if you want to keep it rentad out a while. Regards Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice
                by jhoggard
                Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
                20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by SouthernDave
                I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
                23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by jpkeates
                I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
                At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
                23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by SouthernDave
                i concur with this, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders....
                23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by JamesHopeful
                This is not true in my experience. I currently have eight properties in the same company, across a number of different mainstream BTL lenders, and none of them have batted an eyelid at the number.

Where I have known lenders worry about the company is it doesn't have the correct SIC code...
                23-01-2022, 16:28 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by theartfullodger
                Depends to a great degree on tax regulations over the coming years. We only know what the rules are today, not what they'll be in future e.g. when you retire

I expect chancellors to cut back on the advantages of people owning property through companies (well, wouldn't you if you were chancellor)...
                22-01-2022, 13:06 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by Gordon999
                1. No. You have not sold the property yet

2. 19% on profit by company.

3. Seek advice from accountant.
                22-01-2022, 09:36 AM
              • Reply to haring inherited property
                by halfax
                thanks for help to everyone who replied, great forum
                21-01-2022, 18:55 PM
              • haring inherited property
                by halfax
                i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
                as anyone done similar?...
                19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
              • Reply to Looking for tax / financial advice for a BTL /holiday let long-held portfolio
                by ifallelsefails
                I watched a webinar from Landlord studio and this man Tony Gimple was featured in it. Have a look at his Linkedin profile:
                https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonygimp...alSubdomain=uk
                He has a website whereby he consults exactly to your situation:
                https://www.bel.gb.net/
                21-01-2022, 17:13 PM
              Working...
              X